ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752628 Members
5748 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Using IDE Raid & Compaq Smart Array 3200 together, how?

Ben SMith_2
Advisor

Using IDE Raid & Compaq Smart Array 3200 together, how?

Hi,

Heres a quick rundown of whats going on. I have a Proliant 1850R, with a SCSI Smart Array 3200 with one 9.1Gb SCSI2 disk (this disc has the OS (win2003 server) installed on, in RAID 0), and I also have installed in another PCI slot an EIO IDE RAID card, with a 160gb drive (full of work documents).

The error I get is on bootup the system is trying to look at the IDE RAID for the OS, and not finding it so the boot fails.

I can't get into any BIOS, from what i can tell, as as the pc turns on the screen only turns on when it reaches the "testing dual cpu" pre-boot stage...

So, any ideas guys? I want to use the SCSI disk for my OS only, and use the IDE RAID for just mass storage.

Please email me asap,
Ben Smith
11 REPLIES 11
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

Re: Using IDE Raid & Compaq Smart Array 3200 together, how?

IDE is always loaded before SCSI so that would explain why your not able to boot from it. I imagine you'd prolly need to setup a boot menu or something to force it to boot from the SCSI Array controller.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Ben:

The IDE Controller will always boot first.

IDE bios is built that way, no matter what boot order you set in the server. If you were able to "disable" the boot bios on the IDE controller, then the the SCSI controller can be used to boot.

Some folks have used boot loaders to get around this, but with limited success.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Ben SMith_2
Advisor

Hmmm...

Okay, im being lazy here but anyone created a boot menu for this instance before? I havent got a clue. Im new to all this.

Im wondering, if i disable the internal IDE controlled via the System Configuration will that tell the system to "skip" the IDE RAID and move to the SCSI system to boot? hmm...

Damn, this server lark is troublesom!

Thanks for you advise
Chris Wilkins_2
Advisor

I have an IDE controller installed w/ an 80gb drive attached. The server always boots from the Smart Array, although the BIOS of the IDE controller will appear on the screen as it detects the signle drive attached to it.

The IDE controller is an Promise Ultra 133 TX2. The OS sees this controller as a SCSI device, so I'm guessing that this is why my OS boots from the SmartArray first? Even though it has an IDE device attached to it?

As information - I installed W2K3 first on the Smart Array, then later added the Promise controller card and drive.

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters too badly.
Ben SMith_2
Advisor

Hmmm thats got me pondering!

Windows would see my IDEo Raid card like yours, under the SCSI & RAID devices. Its the booting & preboot thats got me, its been mentioned that IDE will always come before SCSCI whatever the booting sequence is, so this suprises me that you can get away with it!

Hmmm... Actually, what slots are your cards in? maybe this has something to do with it?
Chris Wilkins_2
Advisor

Not sure which slot you would call it - see attachment...

The "first" slot or furthest right (view from front of machine) is the Promise IDE card, the other card is for USB.

You said yours "would" see it as SCSI. So it does?
Does your card have its own BIOS which posts at startup?
Chris Wilkins_2
Advisor

As a side note, during machine start, the Smart Array initializes first, giving the option to modify array, then the Promise card's bios comes up, detects the one IDE drive. Afterwards, machine boots from the Smart Array.
Ben SMith_2
Advisor

Hi Chris,

Wheres your Smart Array? Do you have your SCSI disks connected to the Motherboard directly? If so, this might be where your system differs from mine, all my hard disks (SCSI & IDE) are on controller cards, not using the motherboard connectors.

I've got my Smart Array in Slot 2, Slot 1 has a Network card, Slot 3 has the IDE Raid. (see pic attached)

Slots run in order 1,2,3,4 from base of unit upwards.

Hmmm... Yes Windows would see the IDE Controller as SCSI, well, under the SCSI & Raid devices and yes, the IDE RAID has its own BIOS (shown at bootup) but it doesn't have any option to change bootup device order.

I'm beginning to think i might scrap the IDE altogether and just buy a few huge SCSI disks and use that!

Ben
Ben SMith_2
Advisor

Yes, my IDE RAID card gets seen first at bootup before the Smart Array, regardless of the slots their in.