4361 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using NON-ECC on a DL360 G5

SONNNNN
Occasional Visitor

Using NON-ECC on a DL360 G5

Hi,

Our company wants to use non-ecc memory for a test machine, only we can't find if that is possible. Now we have 4 GB of ECC memory only for testing Hyper V we want to add another 8 GB non-ecc memory. Another forum told me that I can disable ECC in the bios only I can't find that option.

Can you tell me where I can disable ECC in the BIOS, or can you tell me if it's possible to use non-ecc in the DL360 G5 Proliant.

Regards,

Sonny 

2 REPLIES 2
bjhowd100
Occasional Contributor

I don't think you can mix ecc with non-ecc to begin with. Why would they want to run with non-ecc anyway. I have never seen anything in the bios either to choose between ecc and non-ecc. I know it's a test server, but have them cough up the extra $$ to do the right thing I say. Compaq/Hp servers from the early days have always needed ecc memory. I don't see why that has changed now with the more modern processors. Server's need to be up as long as they can, error correctable memory is a good thing, hence the ecc kind of standard.

SONNNNN
Occasional Visitor

I just want to know if we can use Non-Ecc memory because the test server doesn't need the expensive memory if we can use cheaper memory what can work.. Does anybody knows that?

Thank you