ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753795 Members
6938 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using a Disk Array with a DL380 and a DL380 Gen3

Marcus_38

Using a Disk Array with a DL380 and a DL380 Gen3

I am trying to set up two servers to use one Mass Storage Array (MSA) at work. One server is a DL380 Gen 3, and the other a DL380. I was able to set up the Gen 3 just fine, it sees the disk array as one large drive, and is able to read/write to it.

The DL380 however is being a bit of a pain. We have an Array Controller with an SCSI inerface to the MSA. The server sees the card sitting on its slot, but does not recognize the MSA at all. We go to configure it in an HP Utility manager, and it does not allow configuration. We have swtiched cables to verify the cable is working fine. We have done just about everything in our power. Rolled back the updates after installing new ones.

How do we do this, or is it even possible with an old DL380? Any help would be much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Is this an MSA500 (SCSI based)? If you have only one large array, and the first server see it, then the other server will not be able to access it. You cannot have 2 servers accessing the same volumes. You will have to set up at least 2 volumes and use Selective Storage Presentation to present one volume to each server.

The other thing would be to check the MSA500 compatibility list and make sure you have the correct SCSI adapter. It's at http://h18022.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/sharedstorage/sacluster/SACSQualifications.pdf. The DL380 G1 is not listed as supported, so you might be out of luck.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Marcus_38

Thank you for your help. You cleared up what I thought might be the case.

And yes it is a SCSI MSA.