ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753731 Members
4481 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using mirrored drives for disaster recovery

Gordon MacKay

Using mirrored drives for disaster recovery

I want to use mirrored drives as a disaster recovery option, but when I install one of my mirrored drives in a different server, it refuses to boot, giving a blue screen when trying to load Windows2003.
Is it possible to boot another server from a mirrored disk, and if so, how do I do it?
4 REPLIES 4
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If the configuration is same thenit can be done without any issues.

Where if you can share more details about hardware then it more helpfull to get to a point.

This is the same case
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=PSD_EX000818_CW01

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Gordon:

Are you trying to boot the same type of hardware? or a different server model?

If you try to boot a dl380g2 disk in a dl380g2 or g3, there should be no problems. If you try to boot the disk in a g4 though, you will have problems due to the array controller change. Since windows does not "know" about the controller, it can't load a driver so it Blue Screens.

To allievate the situation, you need to load the registry key for the proper Smart Array controller that is in the server your trying to boot up.

If this is your situation, let us know. Someone will post the proper registry key if the ones I have attached are not needed. They include the 5i and 6i controllers. You need to import them on the running server before moving the disk to the other server. Use the 6i file if you have a server with a 5i controller in it. Use the 5i if you have a newer server and want to go backwards in generation. For other Smart Arrays, you will have to hope someone else can post the proper file. i only have these 2 currently. Alternatively, you can search the forums for them.

If you have a different situation, please try to give us more detail.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Gordon MacKay

I am using ML350 G4 servers with a Smart Array 641 controller.
Gordon MacKay

I have tried the following procedure, but am still getting a blue screen when I try and boot the server.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&
objectID=PSD_EX000818_CW01

Is this an issue with the 641 array controller?