108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Using raid1 to make spare hdd

SOLVED
Go to solution
setare
Frequent Advisor

Using raid1 to make spare hdd

I have a hpdl380 G6 server with hardware raid1 configuration includes 2 similar hdds. It has Linux suse as OS, and a licensed application(dependent on MAC address of one network card). Now I realize that hard drive spare part is more and more important than service immunity against interruption offers by raid1. On the other words the important things are OS and application not the updated data. I don’t have any advanced software for back up to make spare hard but this server has hardware raid controller.
I tested and saw that I can use each of hdd one by one ( off course pay attention to exact hdd slot).
Here are some questions:
1- If i want to make new spare hdd , Exchange one of hdd with news hdd, and sync new hdd to the other raid1 hdd by using raid1 tools.
2- refer to above question , the new hdd can be bigger than the old hdd in raid1 synchronization?
Could any body advise me?

Could any one advise me?
8 REPLIES 8
Tech_Aniket
HPE Pro

Hello setare,

As per the description, I believe that you would like to add a spare HDD to the existing array which is RAID 1 with two drives.

Please find my answers to the question below:

1. Yes, you can add a new spare HDD to the existing array.

User Guide --> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00142272.pdf

Refer to Section - Spare Management.

Since the OS is SUSE linux, I would suggest to reboot the server and boot the server to SmartStartCD >> Maintenance >> Array Configuration Utility and then perform the steps as per the guide.

SmartStart CD iso Link --> https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_2e6c41afdb8c4c0d9bffce484c

2. The spare HDD has to be of equal size as the size of the logical drive or it can be greater than the size of logical drive.

Thank you

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

setare
Frequent Advisor

Hi all,
Thanks Tech-Aniket for your explanation,
Clearly because I don’t have the source of OS cd and the source of licensed application, I’m worry about them against hdd failure. Because of my situation I know that I don’t need service immunity against interruption offered by raid1. So:
1- one of option is to delete or break (or some thing like that) raid1 setup and use the hdds in non raid1 configuration one by one to use in spare usage. But the data of hdd must exist safe when I break the raid1 setup(is it possible?).
2- Not break raid1 setup, but test (prepare for that condition) hdd failure condition. So take one of the hdd(as in failure condition)
, 2-1- at this time how to replace it with any hdd? I mean how to sync it with remains hdd?
2-2- The candidate replaced hard is a used hdd, is it necessary to first format it then use it?
2-2- The candidate replaced hdd has bigger storage but lower speed, is it acceptable?
To know:
1- The SA controller is P410i, direct attached storage. 256MB.
Could any body advise?
Tech_Aniket
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello setare,

Thank you for the response.

As per the description, we need the OS to be up and running.

I would advise you to add a spare drive in the array which will replace the faulty drive in case of any failure.

Please find my answer below to the questions - 

1. You can change the RAID level using the Array utility but I would not advise to break the RAID configuration as that will cause complete data loss.

2.  If we add a spare drive to the array it will kick in and automatically replace the faulty drive in the existing array.

The rubiulding will start with the help of the data in the other drive configured in RAID 1.

2-2. It is always advised to use a formatted drive.

3.  The spare drive can be of bigger size than the other drives. 

Please note if the speed of this spare drive is lower than the other drives, all other drives will start running at a reduced speed.

Please feel free to reply in case if you have any further questions or query.

Thank you

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

setare
Frequent Advisor

Hello all,
Thanks Tech_Aniket for your detailed and clear explanation, There are two point: 1- need to bkup( lack of the backup, so I work on spare subject), save the hardware. I will focus on spare configuration to compare what I earn, what I spend!
Good news, today I test how to replace a hdd, and sync(recover) new hdd with reminded hdd in raid1+0. I replace one of hdd with third hdd, and powered on, The new hdd is bigger and slower than reminded hdd and it is a used hdd, the OS boot up, meanwhile For above 20 minutes the new hdd blinked faster than referenced hdd, Then the blinking frequency became the same as referenced hdd. I reboot server even with new hdd alone, its OK. The licensed application seemed ok.
I have a question: how raid 1+0 stablished just by 2 hdd? It seemed to need 4 hdds!
Work on server is continued !
Thanks for your support.
setare
Frequent Advisor

Hello every body,
I want to focus on “dd” command in Linux, then make a bootable usb flash in Linux.
Tech_Aniket
HPE Pro

Hello setare,

Thank you for the email.

Yes, RAID 10 requires 4 drives.

Could you please advise where did you see the RAID level, if possible could you please share the screenshot of the RAID Configuration?

Thank you

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

setare
Frequent Advisor

Hello all,
Hi Tech_Aniket, thank you,
After POST, press f8, exit ilo, press f9, press f8 , it will display ORCA,
View Logical Drive.
Sorry how can i attach screenshot?
Hope people around the world be happy.
Tech_Aniket
HPE Pro

Hello setare,

I was reviewing the user guide for Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array Controllers using the below mentioned link - 

Link - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02289065.pdf

Please refer to page - 102 || Section - > RAID 1+0 (RAID 10)

"When there are only two physical drives in the array, this fault-tolerance method is often referred to as RAID 1"

In case if you wish to share any screenshot there is an option of insert photos.

Thank you.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo