New Discussion

VM ESXI ON HP DL120 G7

SOLVED
Go to solution
agaplus
Frequent Visitor

VM ESXI ON HP DL120 G7

hello to all,

I have installed VMware ESXi 5.0 u3 (HP version) on to my HP Proliant  DL120 G7. I have got 3 HDDs on my server at the moment, but only one of them is  recognized (2.jpg). All other devices are recognized (1.jpg).

How can i do to see all HDD?

7 REPLIES 7
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: VM ESXI ON HP DL120 G7

What model is the drive the system can see, and what is the info on the drives not being recognized

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
aspired
Visitor

VMware is not going to care about the kind of disk but the disk controller it will. You woudl want to figure out where the workign disk is attached and make sure it sees the other attached there though so you know the drives are good. Little boot swapping.

So how are each of these drives connected? Are you using a RAID controller and it is configured correctly?

Also that server is not on the hardware compatablity list, while some still work fine certian thinks might have issues like NIC's, RAID cards, HBA's and what not.

agaplus
Frequent Visitor

This is the driver that vmware esxi recognize and the driver of Windows Host (see attachment)

agaplus
Frequent Visitor

Yes, i have three SATA disk. Two of these is in RAID 1 and it is configured correctrly because before formatting it worked.

This is the state of my logical disk: 2 bay in raid1 and 1 bay raid0. (attachment)

Sbrown
Valued Contributor
Solution

ESXi does not support raid-mode of the B110 smart array! It will see the raw volumes only as it is soft-raid.

agaplus
Frequent Visitor

Sbrown, thank you for your answer!

So, i have to disable the Raid controller? And enable Sata Legacy (or AHCI) support?

Thank to all

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

Yes however ESXi 5.5 I think drops SATA support natively. (quote: http://www.v-front.de/2013/11/how-to-make-your-unsupported-sata-ahci.html )

It is in the best opinion to install a hardware raid controller if possible! 

A HP Smart Array P212/256MB Controller (RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0) is included with performance models of the DL120 G7 and perhaps can be installed in your server for full SAS/SATA hardware raid support with all ESXi versions!