1752785 Members
6103 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMWare ESX 3i Update 2 installable with HP Agents

lbowers
Occasional Contributor

VMWare ESX 3i Update 2 installable with HP Agents

I download from VMWare and installed ESX 3i Update 2 This version contains the HP Agents.

In stalled on a DL380 G5 that used to be a windows server (that SIM identified) so in the console I deleted the server and then rediscovered it. But on the tools and links tab there are no agents lited.

I'm running SIM 5.2 SP1

Any ideas on how to get SIM to see the agents??
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: VMWare ESX 3i Update 2 installable with HP Agents

More specifically, the traditional agents you are used to aren't there, but rather ESXi has a Common Information Model Object Manager (WBEM) and the hardware information comes from HP Common Information Model Providers. HP SIM needs to WBEM enabled and credentials to authenticate to get the information.
lbowers
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the lead I will see how to enable that feature in the console
lbowers
Occasional Contributor

OK got WBEM enabled and rediscovered the server.

Under the System for the server tab I see the health status and Aggreated Events links. If I click on Health status I get the health of fans, Memory, Power, Processors and sensors.

As a test I pulled a power supply cord.

SIM showed the Health Status of the server degraded to a 'Minor' setting. However, the change did not appear in the Aggregated event viewer and a trap to my Network Management System was not generated.

So is there a setting some place to get the status change into the events and generate a trap???
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

WBEM uses a different model than SNMP; alerts are called 'indications' and the management console must subscribe to them. In HP SIM, find it in Options --> Events --> Subscribe to WBEM Events
lbowers
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I That did the trick!!

One last question - It appears I susbscribe to each server that will use WBEM - in my case ESX 3i. If the ESX box is rebooted do I need to re-subscribe?

I say this becaseu when I go to Options | Events | Subscribe and click the Next button a command will be run. Thus if the box is rebooted will I need to go into SIM and run this command again?

Thanks all for the help, much appreciated
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Nope, it remembers them...