1748069 Members
5075 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMware ESX 3i installable and HP DL30 G5 - can't connect to CD/DVD-ROM

lbowers
Occasional Contributor

VMware ESX 3i installable and HP DL30 G5 - can't connect to CD/DVD-ROM

I have a DL380 G5 that I installed the new ESX 3i (free version). The server booted from the VMware OS install CD and installed 3i just fine.

I moved 2 VM's from an older GSX server using the converter and those servers are running just fine.

So I created a new VM - Win 2003 R2 - I started the VM and it will not boot from the CD ROM to install the server. It tries to PXE boot and the faild saying no OS was found. I verified that the CD was in the boot order (it's the first one) and I tried various settings in the VM configuration to get it to boot from the CD drive. Nothing worked.

I finally got around the issue by creating an iso of the 2003 OS disk and told the VM to connect to the iso in the Datastore.

So as a test I inserted a plan jane data cd into the DL380 and tried to get one of the working VM's to connect and open it. All i get is 'Please insert a CD into the drive' prompt from the VM session.

If I tell the guest VM to access a CD in my client PC that works just fine, it just won't see the CD/DVD-ROM drive in the hoast server.

It's all most like the VMware OS is did not load a driver to recognize the internal CD/DVD ROM drive.

Anybody have any idea on how to check if a drive was loaded or how to load a driver. Remember this is ESX 3i so there is no real console to use/execute commands...

Thanks

Larry
3 REPLIES 3
Sinitsch Manfred

Re: VMware ESX 3i installable and HP DL30 G5 - can't connect to CD/DVD-ROM

hello larry !

i have the same problems with an ML350 G5 !!!

did you solve the problem ??

tanks
manfred
lbowers
Occasional Contributor

nope. I saw a thread it might be the host's ACPI or APCI(not sure which acronym) settings.

Guess I just use the workaround for now till the real issue is found.

Larry
Truetsch Urs

Hi Larry

I've had the same problem with a DL385 G5. All I've done is the following:

ESX Server Configuration
Storage Adapters
Details
SCSI Target
vmhba0:0:0 cdrom
right mouse click (Manage Paths...)
Policy