HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Server on DL145G2

ebgarcia
Occasional Visitor

VMware Server on DL145G2

I'm looking into using my DL145 G2 (Windows Server 2003)with VMware Server 2. I was wondering if anyone has experience running VMware Server with this configuration and have any advise for me. Thanks for your help!
5 REPLIES
Christian B.
Super Advisor

Re: VMware Server on DL145G2

Hi

Vmware is officially not supported on DL145 G2, be carefull before you plan.Check the quickspecs link below for more info
DL145 G2
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12206_na/12206_na.html#Standard%20Features

personally i have never tried running Vmware on this server, if u try keep us informed.

All d best !
Eugene Garcia
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your input. I know VMware ESXi is not on the list of compatible OS for this hardware so I was looking at the option of for VMware Server on a W2K3 host OS.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The Dl145 G2 is not the best suited server to run anything related to VMware.

Sure, VMware Server will run... probably just fine. Just make sure you have a decent amount of RAM and enough Hard Disk space to create some vm's.

Not too sure of the CPU's in these boxes (and don;t feel like looking them up at the moment 3am here in NYC). What config do you have for the server currently?

CPU?

Amount of RAM?

Disk Space?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Eugene Garcia
Occasional Visitor

CPU: Two ADM 285 Opteron 2.6GHZ/1GHz 1MB Processor (dual core)

RAM: 16GB

Disk: Two 500GB SATA drives (RAID-1)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I run VMware Server on single CPU machines with no problems.

As long as you understand that you are limited to your existing hardware, you can probably run several vm's without issue.

Not sure how it interacts with dual cpu boxes. I don't think you can multi cpu vm's though. No support for it in VMware Server (almost sure of this but could be wrong).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)