ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752565 Members
5391 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMware esx and win server 2008 64 bit

DJ Roberson

VMware esx and win server 2008 64 bit

i have installed vmware esx on a DL380 G5. I can not load windows server 2008 64 bit edition. Attached is the screenshot of the error i get. "This system is not supported platform" It will load all the setup files then show this message. The bios setting about virtualization has been enabled. Is there a bios update for this that i am missing? I saw an older forum post that was never answered. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
9 REPLIES 9
cnb
Honored Contributor

"Is there a bios update for this that i am missing?"

Depends upon what's under the hood. Some G5's are supported for 2008 x64 and some aren't. You need to be more specific with the details of the versions you're using and what firmware levels you are at.

The BIOS and drivers can be found here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3288134тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516

Post more specific version info if you can.

hth,
Joseph L. Casale
Regular Advisor

I take it that you are trying to load an HP OEM Windows Server disc as a guest in your esx server? I don't think that will work, that's an actual HP message from within your guest vm that you shouldn't see...
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

Make sure that the Intel virtualisation is enabled in the advanced processor options.

Cheers, Mike.
DJ Roberson

here are some better specs:
proliant system bios P56 9-29-08
2X Quad Core Xeon 2.83
In the advanced processor menu Intel Virtualization is enabled.

I am however using an HP OEM Windows Server disc. I will try to find a regular Windows 2008 disc and try that.
Joseph L. Casale
Regular Advisor

I assure you that's the issue. Virtualization is enabled, your guest has booted...
DJ Roberson

do you think if i download the evaluation copy from the website and use my product it will be fine?
Joseph L. Casale
Regular Advisor

No, that HP OEM copy you have is licensed only to run on HP hardware. You need a retail or volume licensed copy to run in this scenario. A demo copy will legally only run for the allowed time frame, 180 days I think...
DJ Roberson

does any one know where i can obtain the media or an ISO? The COA that came with it has 2 keys. on the sticker, the regular "Product key" and a "Virtual Key" in smaller print to the right of it. Doesn't microsoft offer some sort of replacement media program? thank you all for your help.
Joseph L. Casale
Regular Advisor

MS will replace retail media for a cost, but I would assume HP would have to supply you with the OEM media.

Regardless, that COA *will* not help you. You need retail, or vlk media and licensing.