1751943 Members
4682 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Veritas problem

Gareth Le Fluer
Occasional Contributor

Veritas problem

My backups are timming out over night. The error in the job log says this...
An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in HP1.

I have noticed there is an event ID: 9 error (The device, \Device\Scsi\cpqarry21, did not respond within the timeout period) on one of the servers it is backing up data from. Could this be related?
6 REPLIES 6

Hi Gareth,
I'm having a similar problem with my backups (not exactly the same). I'm using Backup Exec for Server v 10.0 SP1. Which version are you using?
Mindaugas_1
Frequent Advisor

1. Check all cables
2. Update all Firmware and Drivers for your server and tape drive (for tape drive you can use Library and Tape Tool), if problem still remain, then
2. Try to use HP driver for your Tape Drive instead of Microsoft or Veritas driver.
3. You can try disable Removable Storage service, if you don't use Microsoft Backup utility.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Are these external or internal drives? Do you have an active terminator the drive? This error is usually caused by a cable or termination problem.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
David_971
Advisor

Ok, first of all are you running a scheduled antivirus scan during the same time as a backup? If yes, change the time. Secondly on some tape units, the veritas driver causes problems - roll back to a previous MS signed driver. Try also disabling the open file agent for a test also to see if there is still an issue.

How this helps.
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Fluer,
Which veritas backup product are u using for backup. Please post the exact job status code.

Regards,
Syam
Dan_407

Same Problem. Veritas v9.0, Windows Server 2003, using an HP Ultrium 215. It's completely random - it's not tape or day specific. Drive and tapes (10 tapes,2-week rotation) have been in production for about 3 months, this just began about a month ago.

Final error code: a00084ca HEX
Final error description: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

Errors
Verify - E: DATAAn inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in HP 1.