6699 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Version Control Agent & Certificate authentication

djarnis
Established Member

Version Control Agent & Certificate authentication

Hi

In recent versions of VCA its possible to use certificate for authentication. Has anyone been able to get that working?

I always get an 'The specified repository, xxx, is invalid or not reachable' error, when I use login/password it works ok.

The repository manager runs on the same server as my HPSIM server and i have added its cerficate in SMH, but i suspect that I need to register/publish the certificate it elsewhere for it to work?

Best regards Jens

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

HP SMH obtains the HP VCA 's HP SMH public certificate and uses it to validate the trust relationship. If HP SMH is unable to establish the trust relationship or cannot verify the security token, then HP VCA displays the following error message:The specified repository, VCRM IP, is invalid or not reachable.

To configure the HP VCA's settings to use a HP VCRM to obtain software status and software downloads:
1. In the Repository Manager Device field, enter the name of the system that hosts the HP VCRM.  You can enter an IP address or system name.
2. In the Login Account field, enter a login that has the appropriate security level for the HP SMH on the specified system. The type of account, account name and password depend on whether the HP SMH or Management HTTP Server is installed at the system specified in the previous step. This account must have Operator or Administrator level at the HP VCRM system, so it is recommended that you use a browser to verify the login account and password before entering it.
Note: A privileged user in HP VCRM can connect to HP VCA. This user also has the permission to download PSPs.
Note:This account is at the HP VCRM system, not the HP VCA system.
Note: To avoid any potential administrator lockouts from the HP SMH, the account named Administrator cannot be used to connect to the HP VCRM from the HP VCA. Do not use that account if the HP VCRM system has the HP SMH installed.
3. In the Password field, enter the password for the login account.
4. In the Password Confirm field, re-enter the password exactly as you entered it in the Password field.
5. Click Finish. The HP Setup dialog box appears and the installation begins. When it completes, the results of the installation are displayed.
6. Click Close. The installation is complete.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

djarnis
Established Member

But how do I establish certificate trust? I already have it working with login/password, but I would prefer using certificate now that the option exists.

My VCRM is installed on a server that also hosts HP SIM and there is trust established between SMH & SIM. Is there a different certificate trust I need to setup?

Best regards Jens

Niclas Larsson_2
Occasional Advisor

See http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-HP-Systems-Insight-Manager/vca-and-use-certificate-to-connect-to-vcrm/td-p/5611225

Basically it is kinda backwards from what I think it should be

The SSO is a SMH hosting the VCA to SMH hosting the VCRM

The SMH hosting the VCRM needs to have the SMH Certificate of the SMH hosting the VCA

So I find this function quit useless, in the way its implemented today

(if you do not like a lot of certificate handling)

At first it seemed like a very nice feature though....

/Niclas