1751765 Members
4632 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Version Control Repository

ccoho
Advisor

Version Control Repository

Is the VCR no longer supported?  I noticed that when updating the repository (i'm on latest version), the newest service pack it downloads is 2013.09.0B, but there is a 2014.02.0 available.  It won't accept that under "upload a support pack either".

I know the new pack comes with the HP SUM, but I've had problems with that and prefer the repository to it.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there any way to get the newer support pack into the repository?

10 REPLIES 10
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Re: Version Control Repository

I'm wondering if they are moving away from the VCA/VCRM model; there is no VCA available to download from the 380 G8 page when windows 2012 R2 is selected. I was able to install the VCA that was downloaded from the 2008 R2 page.
ccoho
Advisor

While not ideal, I just copied the contents of the extracted 2014 support pack into my repository, rebuilt the catalog, and now while the actual support pack shows as invalid, the individual components are available for updates.

I hope they aren't moving away from VCA / VCR to the HP SUM.  I tried it and was very unhappy.  When trying to upgrade 15+ servers over a WAN, each inventory took FOREVER, and that was just to see what updates were available.  And after the inventory it tried to install a few updates that were not applicable to that server (they failed, but now I had a failed status on that server even though it was done).

With SNMP being deprecated in 2012, it seems to me HP is moving away from the system management homepage in general.  I have one VM host i upgraded to 2012 and I can't get SMH to work under SNMP mode for anything.  Researching it looks like the G8's now have an "agentless" alerting system built into the iLo rather than the SNMP agents on the SMH.  Based on my SUM experience I'm not very confident they are actually any better than the good old SNMP.

David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Agreed, I like the agent managed vs agentless, it just seems more granular. Or it could just be my resistance to change for the sake of change.

The agents will run on 2012 (and 2012R2) it's just still difficult to find the SPP (Last time I found it, it was located here:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/supportpack-generic/p1235385378/v89111/MSw2k12r2-rtmsupplement-2013.09.0.B.win.exe ) That's the SPP for 2012 R2.

ccoho
Advisor

So with that SPP I should be able to get system management homepage back up and running under SNMP?  If so thats a HUGE help!  I have it set to WEBM now just so there is data on the page, but you lose the alerting that SNMP provides.

David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Remember to install SNMP role first and add localhost to SNMP security "accept SNMP packets..."

You also need to de-select agentless component during the HP SUM install and then select HP server agents. If I recall, if you have already installed the agentless stuff (forget what it's called) you can unistall it using the agentless applet in the control panel.

ccoho
Advisor

Awesome thanks, going to give it a try tonight.

SNMP should already be properly configured as far as I can tell.

David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Sorry if I'm telling you something you probably already know, but just in case:

During the HP SUM process, after entering the credentials and allowing self discovery to finish, click next. You will then see the "ready to update" words in green. Click the link below it " Select Componenets", then find "HP Proliant Agentless Management Service for X64", it is selected by default. Uncheck it, then find "HP Insight Management Agents....x64". I think it's listed below everything under "Optional Updates"

Good luck!

ccoho
Advisor

No problem at all, better to hear it again than not know.  So I updated the management agents to the newer version, and now the SMH does show ALMOST everything i'm used to.  The only thing that is missing is under storage.  It shows the "standard IDE controller" but not my Smart Array P410i Controller like my 2008 servers do.  I checked and the HP Insight Storage Agents service is running.

Unfortunately this is one of the more important ones as normally the most likely to go would be one of my drives.  You've been a great help so far, any suggestions on this last problem?

PS the Array configuration utlitiy does show up and it DOES properly find the controller, but its status isn't displayed on the main SMH screen (which I assume means no alerts on a drive failure).

David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Continuing trobleshooting on my issue (Funky NIC issue, other thread) I've found that that SPP does not include ALL drivers the way the SPP's I'm familiar with. (Oh, Krap with a Kapital K.... it has supplimental in the title!) Check that your array controller driver is the latest and greatest.