1753883 Members
7523 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Very slow filecopy between 2 local drives at DL380 G5

fredr1k
Occasional Contributor

Very slow filecopy between 2 local drives at DL380 G5

I'm struggeling with a problem on 3 Proliant DL 380 G5. They have Windows 2003 Server Enterprise and are configured as a fileshare cluster. (Active/Passive/Passive). (mentioning it just in case). Internaly connected there is a Smart Array P400 Controller with 2+1 SAS-discs in Raid1 (one spare). The array is partioned in two part at apx 20Gb / 120Gb.

However, the problem lies in the local harddrives. When i copy a selection of files from C to D or the other way (booth drives on the same RAID-Set) i get realy bad performance. We speak about 5-10 minutes for copying 600Mb of various sized files.

I compared this to a another identical DL 380 D5 with the same disk configuration. There I get speeds laying around sub 1 minute.

Copying from another server on the same Gbit-backbone to any of the three servers give blazing speed.

I've also tried doing the same tests with the AntiVirus service disabled. No major improvment noticed.

Versions of drivers and BIOS is as following (please note this is a production cluster and it can not be patched and updated "just to test stuff out", so forgive me for not using the latest stuff).

Smart Array P400 and P400i 2.04
HP Integrated Lights-Out 2 1.26
HP ProLiant DL380 G5 (P56) Servers 2006.11.08
HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller 6.2.0.32

Thanks for your time!
2 REPLIES 2
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Very slow filecopy between 2 local drives at DL380 G5

Hello Fred,

Since you mentioned its a production server, i come to think... when do you try these file copies ?? During peak hours.. when there are multiple users accessing the server ???

Then the slow transfer rate can be justified.
If not, try copying the same files... when LEAST users are connected to it.

Obviously, you dont want to exceed the Disk threshold !

Regards,
James.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Very slow filecopy between 2 local drives at DL380 G5

Hi,

by performance issues the 1st thing to do is always firmware and driver update, it is not for testing. If you have FW 2.04 , then there are 3 steps to the newest FW - 2.08, 2.10 and 4.06. Whgen you click on revision, you will see under 2.08 : "Implemented changes in the cache related algorithm to address a potential performance issue. ".
So the first thing I suggest you, before searching other sources is update Fw to 4.06 and Driver to the latest. Your Fw is from 2006, so a FW update of the whole system with FW CD 7.9. will resolve many other issues that may occur.

Regards,
Pac