1752815 Members
5944 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vibration on new G2

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Vibration on new G2

Just got out latest and greatest G2 in for a spare server. When the fans are at full blast, you can notice a decent vibration on the whole chassis. Must be pretty good for those hard drives ;-) I plan on replacing them all and seeing what happens.

Has anyone been getting quirky login dialogs when posting to the forums? It's happened to me 4 times now!

Tom
tom@ctcomp.com
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I've noticed the vibration problem on my new ML370G2 also. Seems to be coming from the redundant fans at the rear of the chassis. I've re-seated the cage and fans, to no avail. Do you have the redundant fan option installed? Fortunately, they seem to shut off a few minutes after the server boots, so the vibration goes away.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Same problem here with a new G2. A call to etch support was fruitless. Hopefully this will draw some attention to the problem. I've got little doubt that it's going to result in damage to either the system board or the RAID controller.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Same problem here with a new G2. A call to tech support was fruitless. Hopefully this will draw some attention to the problem. I've got little doubt that it's going to result in damage to either the system board or the RAID controller.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Since, I've had 3 more come through our shop. All the same. I guess it's not considered a problem then, especially since when the management drivers load for your specific OS, it slows them down.

On a lighter side.. if you set those fans to normal speed, you can probably put wings on the thing and it will take off!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Well, if I saw correctly, a handle holding the fan cage (the one in the middle of the machine) is wound to the back by some 45 degrees and as a result the fan cage can't be seated properly.
Our local service said it is "OK". ;((( Is this an official Compaq position?

Regards, Igor