1745829 Members
4177 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Video Card PCI Help

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Video Card PCI Help

I have a 1600r, dual pIII 600 processors running Windows XP. I am trying to install an nVidia PCI (Geforce mx 400) video adapter. It works fine for the first minute that XP boots up to the desk top but then the picture gets distorted very badly and computer freezes for no reason. I have the nVideo XP drivers installed, disabled the onboard video card in the bios, in windows hardware configuration, and on the mother board switch. Is the PCI bus too slow for this graphics adapter? Is there something else in the bios I need to configure?
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Video Card PCI Help

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the video card is on the primary bus and also to make sure the BIOS is up to the latest. Here is the link.
http://www5.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/locate/7_1126.html#153
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Well I have the updated bios and there are a lot of places where I can configure. So what configuration changes do I need to make in the bios to get this video card working? I tried different settings but to no avail. Should I just give up? Is this server to old for this video card?
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Try the card in slot 4,5 or 6 and please make sure there is nothing else in thses slots. This is the primary bus.
There is nothing else in the bios and the slot is 33mhz 32 bit. There is not much else to do.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Jeff Vincent

I also have a Proliant 1600 6/600 single processor and just purchased a VisionTek GeForce4 MX420 PCI card, but I can't get anything out of it. It says on the box that it requires a PCI 2.1 compliant slot. I can't find ANY information about the PCI bus version on this machine. All documentation just says how many PCI slots there are, but nothing about the version. I assumed it had compliant slots. Could someone possibly enumerate the exact steps to get a new PCI video card to work in this type of machine?

I put it in a slot on the primary PCI bus w/ the PCI sound card, and toggled the SW1/switch1 to disable onboard video. Is there something else I missed?

Thanks,

Jeff
Neil Winn

I've just got an nVidia PCI 32mb graphics card and have had no luck getting the thing to work. I don't get any video output. My bios is up to date. Any ideas?????