9253 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Video Controller Upgrade to 1 Meg on Compaq Proliant 3000R Server

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Video Controller Upgrade to 1 Meg on Compaq Proliant 3000R Server

Hello all,
Figured I would give it another go since you guys pointed me in the right direction last time. :) I want to upgrade the damn 1 meg ati rage IIc on the mobo in the compaq proliant 3000r. I went to the store and got an xpert98 - ati and it was accepted and found and it basically takes over for the video controller on board. Very cool! However, there were no win2k drivers for it and the ones I found either generated a blue screen on setup or by just installing the driver ( I prefer when you can ) it installs the driver reboots into win2k as 256 640x480 and when you attempt to change you get a nice big blue rasberry. :) .. What does compaq suggest for the upgrade. Seems like the Rage IIc driver works well with win2k on the compaq 3000 but since I cannot add memory to the onboard 1 meg controller, what PCI ( has to be PCI ) video card does anyone suggest. The reason I got the xpert98 was cause it cost 20 dollars and is really a nice older card. But to no avail.

Help me get a better video card in this thing. I just want to be able to run 1024x768 or maybe 1280x1024 but at true color if not that then 16 bit would be good enough. It is a server after all. I do test for security though and have noticed the screen turning plaid green from time to time with the current video controller. That is why I want to upgrade.

Thanks again to all who respond.
Stephen
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Video Controller Upgrade to 1 Meg on Compaq Proliant 3000R Server

You may put an ATI Rage IIc PCI card with 4 MB into your PL, and operate it with the Compaq supplied driver; this will give you 1024x768 at true colour and 85 Hz. This works perfectly on my PL3000 (E39), however, ONLY in single processor mode! When I change to multiprocessing, the ATI driver does not load, and I get the standard MS supplied vga driver with no more than 800*600 res. and 16 colours. Does anybody know how to get the ATI driver to load in MP?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Video Controller Upgrade to 1 Meg on Compaq Proliant 3000R Server

I found the solution for the video driver problem when second processor is installed:
After moving the ATI video card from slot 8 to slot 3 the ATI driver loads also in multiprocessing and all video modes can be set; seems that video must be on PCI bus 0, otherwise memory cannot be mapped. Hope this helps somebody else.