1753311 Members
6564 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Video card for the Proliant DL320e G8

Lean
Occasional Contributor

Video card for the Proliant DL320e G8

I need to display the image of a Proliant DL320e G8 to an HDMI TV , so what card i have to get?

9 REPLIES 9
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Video card for the Proliant DL320e G8

Hi,

None from HP i guess.

You have to buy one from non-hp branded.

Just get a card which is compatible with the server PCI technology.

Expansion slot, PCIe x8 and PCIe x16.

Check QuickSpecs for Expansion Slot information.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2Fc04123220.pdf

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

No video cards have been tested by HP on this server and hence an HP option is unavailable. Please refer to section "Component identification > Rear panel components > PCIe riser board slot definitions" of the server's Maintenance and service guide for the specfication of PCIe card that may be installed and its negotiatable speed.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Have you looked at getting a VGA to HDMI converter?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
cheffi
Visitor

Hi,

did you get it to work?

I'm trying something similar at the moment with a HP FirePro V3900 (A6R69AA) card and the bloody thing just won't get through Post. (No errors shown though, ILO just says no PCI Cards found). Although i don't need any video output from it, just RemoteFX.

I tried this on a DL320e G8v2, i3, 250w, with a P410 card in the 8x Slot and the V3900 in the 16x one.

I would be glad to hear any ideas before throwing the whole thing out. A bigger CommonSlot power unit seems to be impossible too.. **bleep** entry level stuff...

xdeetee
Frequent Advisor

I strongly advise you NOT TO BUY any video card recommended to you here or elsewhere unless the recommender has actually used the card with the same sever successfully. I have bought over a dozen video cards based on recommendations and none works on my HP servers. Avoid the frustration, wasted money and time . 

HP video card upgrade is the worst aspect of HP servers. It is a nighmare, trying to find one to fit. The server embedded graphics cards are deplorable and  probable designed for low resolution monitors of 10-20 years ago. They are terrible when you use them to run modern 24" monitors. (And readers, please don't remind me that servers are not desktops!) 

Indeed, I am forced to sell one of my severs due to frustration in not being able to find a suitable card for it to get better resoutions and speed. I will also not be buying HP server anymore until HP provides list of recommended video cards to upgrade its servers or use better quality embedded graphics cards.  

cheffi
Visitor

i hear you.. very frustrating. My last try will be a quadro nvs X1 card. Maybe that'll work :/

cheffi
Visitor

good news, i got it working.

Nvidia Quadro NVS290 PCIe X1 Card.

Just be sure to set your bios to embedded primary, optional secondary or you won't see anything through ilo anymore ;)

edit: Bios settings as follows:

Optional primary, embedded secondary -> windows gets the quadro as primary, remotefx works

Remote Video on -> ILO remote console works till windows boots up, so changes can be made. windows only rdp of course, no remote console possible anymore.

sort of a success.. even google earth works via rdp. not really smooth, but it works anyways.. (win server 2008r2)

xdeetee
Frequent Advisor

I am happy for you. I am still looking for one that actually works in my HP DL385 G6.

egladios
Occasional Visitor

I doubt if any graphic card can fit in this particular server. However for HP as a whole, unlike what people think about graphic cards, I find GT710, GT730, Quadro K600 & K620, Quadro 2000, all work without a problem unless they were branded by other companies. A power source is available and possible in G8 onwards. I guess I havent tried NVIDIA power cards like GTX and RTX, but the server environment needs only a starter graphic card for transcoding,  but not for gaming.