cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video drivers for DL360 g4p Windows 2003

paulbuckle
Occasional Contributor

Video drivers for DL360 g4p Windows 2003

I can't seem to find any drivers (other than default windows) for the built in RAGE XL graphics chip for Windows 2003.

I am using the server to run a game server, and without Direct3D abilities it will not run...

Alternatively, do these machines take standard graphics cards (AGP or PCI)??

Any help appreciated
4 REPLIES
Steinemann
Occasional Advisor

Re: Video drivers for DL360 g4p Windows 2003

The internal graphic card will not provide enough performance as game server. You might go for PCI graphic card. Two 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X slots are available.
Don't forget to disable in the BIOS the integrated video controller ...
paulbuckle
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response, but are you saying that the onboard graphics chip should behave in the following manner:

Display | Settings --> Advanced button is disabled

DXDIAG --> DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available
Direct3D: Not available

I would have thought the whole point of onboard graphics is that it gives you an element of these things?

Can you recommend a PCI graphics card if no solution for this is available?
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

You're looking at two different issues.

The reason you can't get Direct3d running on Windows 2003 is because the OS disables it by default for stability reasons. There is a discussion here on enabling it:

http://www.petri.co.il/enable_graphic_acceleration_in_windows_2003.htm

That will take care of your first problem, and whilst I can't recommend an appropriate video card, I can suggest you need the above fix first, before you look into a video card upgrade.

Consider also that since you are looking at running this machine as a video game SERVER you may not be so interested in video performance as you would be on a workstation running the client, which as far as I could see is where all the drawing actually happens.
paulbuckle
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, but I am aware of this. Unforunately I must have failed to mention that I can't access the Display | Settings --> Advanced tab so I cannot enable Hardware Acceleration in the first place.

I think I need to resolve this problem before I can do anything else.

Any ideas?