4854 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Videodriver DL320 G2

Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

Videodriver DL320 G2

Hi,

we have a DL320 which has been running for some months. Recently however the display is set to VGA mode. In device manager there is an exclamation mark next to the videodriver.

We don't know what happened...

I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling its driver. I've reinstalled the complete SmartPack 6.4 but to no avail.

I've cleaned the registry (looked for rage and ati), I've moved the files in the c:\winnt\inf directory so Windows could not take its previous driver but still the driver does not want to work.

This is Windows 2000 SP3 and the error is "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".

I've checked the HP site and it says "Rage IIC PCI" driver, but in other operational DL320's I see a Rage XL PCI. This server and the other one are G2 revisions. I tried manually installing the IIC driver but Windows says it does not have compatible video hardware. When I use the Rage XL driver, Windows happily installs it.
I tried the alternative videodriver on the ATI site but still it does not work.

Is it possible that a hardware malfunction causes a videodriver to fail ? Is it possible that a malfunctioning videodriver only works in VGA mode ?
Can anyone give me info about the videocard itself ? Is it a IIC or a XL ?

Thanks in advance,
best regards,
Jeroen.
14 REPLIES 14
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jeroen,
Do you have any Remote Access Software installed on the server i.e. PCANYWHERE software etc?? If you do then uninstall it and then reapply the Video drivers from the following link. You can reinstall the Remote access software thereafter.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17769.html

Please let me know as you how you make out.

Regards,
kamal_9
Super Advisor

Hi Jeroen
Can you try installing the driver from the CD which came along with the Server
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

Hi,

there is no PCAnywhere but Terminal Services is active.
I don't know if that might conflict...

The driver at your URL has been tried already. I'll try to uninstall Terminal Services and reinstall that driver.

I'll let you know.

Kind regards,
Jeroen.
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

Hi,

we uninstalled Terminal Services and disabled Symantec AV when uninstalling the current driver and reinstalling the new one.
After reboot, we still only have VGA mode.

I don't see anything special in the eventlog.

The CD that came with the server contains the SmartPack 6.4 which I already reinstalled in "forced mode". I mean it installed drivers even if they were already installed and same version.

I am really out of clues here....I wonder if this could be a hardware problem...
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jeroen,
Have you tried using an older driver?? If not then try the following:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/10098.html

Also please let me know as to what was done that the video driver got messed up??

Regards,
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

Hi,

this is a screenshot of the driver on a working DL320. This is a Rage XL instead of a Rage IIC ???

The customer will try to upgrade the driver, starting from an unknown PCI device. He will move the inf-files containing ATI Rage info so Windows won't be able to take any other driver than the one you gave us.

I will let you know.
The customer does not know what happened, they don't log in much on that server (DMZ mail relay and ftp server). One day he saw it was in VGA mode...it's attached to an UPS just like their other servers.

Kind regards,
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

Hi,

please look at the screenshots.
We moved inf files, so you see "Other devices, Video Controller (VGA Compatible)".

The HP driver gives :
"The software is currenlty installed, but does not need to be installed on this system.

The only thing that can be selected is "Close".

De ATI driver (van site ATI voor Rage XL) installeert wel probleemloos maar werkt enkel in VGA.

I hope anyone can help here...
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

Oops, a sentence in Dutch was typed.
Translated : The ATI Driver can be installed without any problem (ATI Rage XL) but works only in VGA mode.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

have you tried to delete the vga item in other devices and run a hardware detect and then install a new driver?
There is a nice programme to read your hardware config.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

You also can start debug in the cmd box and do a d c000:000 to read the graphics copyright notice.

Michael