Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualisation on HP DL380 G5 server

Denny Sakabaza
Occasional Contributor

Virtualisation on HP DL380 G5 server

Hello

I have DL380 G5 server and have finally managed to install x64 windows 2008 R2. I have installed a virtual machine on this server. But when i try to start the virtual machine i'm getting an error msg hypervisor is not running on this machine. I hve enabled the intel virtualisation technology in the bios but the error msg is still there. Can someone advise where i'm getting it wrong
2 REPLIES
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Re: Virtualisation on HP DL380 G5 server

Hi..

Without having used HyperV or 2008 R2 before i'd make my guess that either the service/software for the hypervisor is not enabled/installed correctly or you are not properly licensed to run any virtual machines with your current license key.
JUGGANUTZ
Occasional Advisor

Re: Virtualisation on HP DL380 G5 server

With Hyper-v you need to make sure the server role is installed. Also besides the hardware virtulization option in the bios you need to make sure DEP (Data Execution Prevention)is enabled. I believe this server has that option if memory serves right. The strange thing though is the hyper-v role usually doesn't install if those items are not enabled in the first place. http://www.grc.com/securable.htm this tool would be able to tell you if it is 100% good to go.

Also if you have hyper-v enabled and its complaining about a hypervisor i would say the install is corrupt as hyper-v is the hypervisor and not the hardware virtulization. 2008 R2 if you downloaded the RTM from technet or msdn then great you might have found a bug and there might be an update for it on microsoft's site. Check the error logs for that role to see if there is a more verbose error. if it's RC 2008 r2 then i could see it possibly not working as they were doing massive changes to it.