5941 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

W2K won't boot after creating 120 gig data partition

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve_422

W2K won't boot after creating 120 gig data partition

I have a brand new DL360 G3 with mirrored 146G drives. Using smart start 6.4 I create the mirror set, and a custom partition of 15 gigs for the OS and program files, leaving approx. 125 gigs for storage. The problem is after I format and activate the remaining space, when the computer reboots it hangs on this screen.

trying to boot from CD-Rom
trying to boot from A: drive
trying to boot from C:

Any ideas why?
4 REPLIES 4
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Re: W2K won't boot after creating 120 gig data partition

Hi Steve

Did you check the boot controller order in the RBSU (F9) key in the advance option after the SS installation.

Regards

claude
Herb Oldenburg_2
Regular Advisor

Hi...
Boot order is the first thing... I agree...
How are you creating this additional space?
Have you created this within the Disk Management Wizard?

Good luck..

Herb
To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sounds as if the boot device has changed to the new logical drive of 125GB or the active partition has change to that partition.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Steve_422

I appreciate all the suggestions, I just stumbled on this forum and thought I would give it a try.

As it turns out, I was using the native windows disk mgmt console to create the new partition. What I found out, after it failed to boot after numerous OS installs, I finally booted from the Windows disk, and used F6 to install the 5i array driver. When it went to search for previous installs of the OS, I learned that for some reason after creating the partition, the new D: drive and the C: drive somehow were getting switched. Now my system files on the small partition had been assigned d: and the new large drive became C:. If you create two large partitions from the remaining space c: = 18G d: = 50G and e: = 70G, when you reboot c: = 70G d: = 18G and e: = 50G. They all move down. I still don't know why this happens, but in the future I'll install the OS first so I can create both partitions at once, then I'll install all of the SS drivers, and utilities.

Thanks for your help.

SB