1753822 Members
9131 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

W2k Pro

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

W2k Pro

Im trying to install W2K Professional and it is just hanging there at the Windows 2000 setup screen "Setup in starting Windows 2000" I let it sit there for over an hour at a time. Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: W2k Pro

What is the exact configuration of this system (controllers, video, memory...)? Is this an upgrade or an original install?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: W2k Pro

Hi Stuman, (you wouldn't be stu from sun belt software, would you? :0)

I had a similar problem. What I found through investigation is that Win2K Pro doesn't detect the CPQSCSI/Array controller during initial setup. You can check to see if this is your problem by pressing the "F6" key during the very beginings of setup (don't blink or you'll miss the prompt.) If you have this problem, the mass storage driver will be set to "none".

To resolve this issue, you have to make a driver diskette and use the "install additional storage devices" option (press the "F6" key during initial setup of Windows.)

Here's what I did . . . (for a new DL380, Smart Start v4.90)
- Format a floppy diskette
- Browse the Smart Start DC to :\CPQSUPSW\NTSSD50\CPQ32FS2\
- Copy all the files within this folder to the diskette
- Start the Windows installation (after running Smart Start)
- Press the "F6" key when prompted (I keep pressing "F6" repeatedly to make sure it's pressed)
- Windows setup will continue for a while and will eventually stop and allow you to specify a device by pressing the letter "I"
- Press the letter "I"
- Insert the diskette and press "Enter"
- Setup will read the diskette (it's looking for txtsetup.oem,) and display the WideUltra2 controller.
- Select the controller and press enter to continue
- Setup will continue . . .

Hope this helps,

Mark.