1752799 Members
6273 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: W7 on Proliant DL360 Gen9

CrashFive
Occasional Visitor

W7 on Proliant DL360 Gen9

Can I install W7 or W10 on a Proliant DL360 Gen9 system?

When I try to boot from the disc (MS W7) I immediately see alot of error codes on the screen; however, if I use HP Intelligent Provisioning software, I receive the message "Please insert the correct media."

I haven't tried installing a server OS, but this leads me to wonder if it is even possible to install W7 or W10 on this particular system.

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> Can I install W7 or W10 on a Proliant DL360 Gen9 system?

You can try.

However, it is not supported and you will have a problem with drivers.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Haven't tried on a Gen9, I load Win7 on Gen8 servers. I use the drivers from Server 2008

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
CrashFive
Occasional Visitor

Why would I run into driver issues? The website: http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=7252838 states that it is compatible with W2008R2 which has the same kernel as W7? And that's funny you say that because that's what I am running into. It's telling me it requires the CD/DVD drivers, I dont quite know why the cdrom.sys driver wouldn't work as-is off the disc?

CrashFive
Occasional Visitor

When you installed W7 did it initially prompt you at the very beginning of the installation to supply CD/DVD-ROM drivers? I'm seeing the error message at the W7 install: No device drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK. I've tried using 2012R2 cdrom.sys drivers because that's what I have immediate access to, but didn't work. Haven't tried 2008R2 drivers yet. Did you run into any issues at all during your W7 installation?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If you're asking me, the W7 install I did was on a Gen8, the installation was fine. After it was finished I had to load the NIC driver before the network would function.  W7 may not recognise the disk controller in a Gen9 depending on what controller is installed.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!