ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753418 Members
4699 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: WHAT HP SERVER ? WHAT OPTIONS NOT FORGET ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rich_86
Advisor

WHAT HP SERVER ? WHAT OPTIONS NOT FORGET ?

Hi Guys,

Gotta order a new server with budget of 2500-3000 max. mid range ...Pro Liant series sounds good ... just wondered if you can contribute with tips as to what options to go for ... SCSI HD is a must, how swappable ! 1Gig Ram, tape drive ? I guess ...

Much appreciated

Rich
7 REPLIES 7
Jeff Brown_15
Frequent Advisor

I can only tell you about our rack mount workhorse, the DL380. We have over 600 G1,2,3, and 4s running NT4,W2K,W2K3. This takes up the majority of servers we have in our environment. They're cheap, fast, and they last. I will provide you a speck for a G3(can't find my G4 quote):

-------------------------------------------
301111-001 - DL380 R03 P2800XEON US
286713-B22 - 36GB 10K U320 UNI HDD ALL (qt. 3)
1GBDDR-1BK - 1 GB TOTAL MEMORY (2X512)
Estimate: $3500
------------------
Optional:
257915-B21 - X2.8/400 370/380 G3 ALL
(Second processor)

313054-B21 - HP RPS IEC CORD DL380G3
(Redundant Power Supply)

293048-B21 - 3 FANS HP REDUNDANT DL380G3 ALL
(3 Fans to complete system)

255514-B21 - BBWC ENABLER ALL
(Write to cache)
Estimate All: $4400
-------------------------------------------

The DL380 allows for a RAID 1 and 5 with split bus. Also, hot swappable drives in a RAID set and/or standby spare. Fans, power, and 2 PCIs are all hot swappable. And it all fits in 2U's.

I recently did a comparison for my company since the HP hardware contract was up for renewal. I had to compare the mid-range for HP, Dell, and IBM. First off, IBM did not even compare in either design or performance. The Dell was comparable in design but when we hooked it up to the Dyno it just couldn't compete.

I know this is more than you want to spend, but I hope it helps.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Rich:

The Proliant DL380 is one of the most widely used servers in the industry. It fits in at the lower to mid portions of "Mid-Range" specs. Prices start at about 2400 retail (Web Price) with the specs...

Single P4 3.2Ghz XEON CPU
1GB RAM
Integrated Smart Array RAID Controller
dual integrated NIC's

The HDD's range from 350-650 depending on size/speed.

These are all web based pricing driect from HP. If you find a vendor, you can probably get discounted pricing. If you want a vendor, let me know. :o)

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBases.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=&ProductLineId=431&FamilyId=1872&LowBaseId=9202&LowPrice=$899.00&jumpid=re_hphqiss/Ovw_Buy/DL380G4

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

If you willing to Use Internal Tape Drive: in DL 380 you loose one spot for tape drive; in ML350 G4 you can add tape in optional bay. ML350 G4 takes 4U instead 2U, however price is low. Also Price for tape drive will be different.

ML350 G4
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBases.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=&ProductLineId=431&FamilyId=1884&LowBaseId=9202&LowPrice=$899.00&jumpid=re_hphqiss/Ovw_Buy/ML350G4
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

If you don't need the SCSI drives (hot plug), power redundancy and extra CPU functionality - then you can go for a the Proliant ML110 series with SATA RAID and a SCSI DDS72 72 Drive. That will surely fit your budget of 3K.
Hakuna Matata.
Rich_86
Advisor

Guys Much appreciated !!! Still looking and any advice you can provide will be helpful ...

I had in mind a tower ML370 G3 or G4 not sure what difference ... also considering Dell as I seem to get options for less.

A bit confused about the cost of RAID card or smart array 6402/128 PCI-X Controller...either embeded or seperate PCI ? but ├В┬г600 for a card ...

Another question, once u buy a new serve can u upgrade it without loosing warranty ?

I mean the tape drives or DVDRW-RAM can get it cheaper ...

see what I came up with after customisation ...not sure about the hot swappable bay ? I thought this was provided as standard ...

Thanks again for your suggestions

Rich
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rich:

1. The ML370G4 Tower model does not have integrated RAID functionality. It needs to be added via the SA6402/128. HP does this because not all customers want Hardware RAID, so them make it an option in the model you chose. The High Performance models of the same line already have the card installed. (and the Cost as well)
The Main difference in the G3 and the G4... is the Processors. The G4 supports the newer faster P4's 3.4-3.8Ghz.

Dell has some pretty well priced systems, but I think you will find that the proliant is a much sturdier machine with many built in functions that might be options on the Dell.

You might be able to get a lower end Smart Array card for a bit cheaper if the SA6402 is a bit too much.

2. HP offers many upgrade options. Generally, you would not lose the warranty, but depending on the upgrade, you may need to renew and/or purchase an uplift. General upgrades like adding a second processor or Memory or simple stuff does not effect the warranty.

3. Internal Hot Swap Cage is only needed if you want to put in more than 6 Hot Swap SCSI drives. Since you only have 3 drives, you do not need this. It would replace your 2 free 5 1/4" media slots. #5 in the picture in the specs guide...

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12029_na/12029_na.html

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Rich_86
Advisor

Steven,

Good Points thanks for clarifying, I found a re-seller selling 370 G3 pre-assembled as is @ 1300 British Pounds, I reckon if I buy the spares ...2 additonal hard drives, LG DVDRW RAM, TAPE drive ... hardware RAID ...

it comes with Ultra320 SCSI controller, isn't this good enough, it says RAID 5 possible ...

Still not too sure about the warranty ...I am a consultant ...and buying this for a company ... would not want to get something too expensive they would not use ....

Company has mixed network, 10 PCs & 8 MACs
current server is P3 800 ...

See the link
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/74044/WW/ML350_G3_T03_XEON_2800-512_512MB_SDRAM_U320_3YR_WR/index.htm

Again thanks a lot ...

Shoot how can I manage to order before Xmas ...