1751921 Members
4805 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Waiting for rebuild - Smart Array 5300

Vitor Louro

Waiting for rebuild - Smart Array 5300

Hi,
I've a Smart Array 5300 running in a Proliant ML530G2. A few days ago i've changed a bad hard disk with a new one, present in a Raid 5 logical drive. But the problem is that the rebuilding process does not start. The ACU 6.40 keeps showing "Waiting for Rebuild" in the Status column. The System Event log shows a Warning event id = 1200 (...logical drive number x on the array controller has a new status of 6 = readyForRebuild...).
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Vitor Louro
6 REPLIES 6
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What you see the disk drive status in the ACU ?

You need to run ADU for diagnostics.
Refer the ACU user huide at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294139/c00294139.pdf

As far as the error is concerned , the logical drive status is "readyForRebuild".
It maybe a case tha there are read/write errors occuring with the drive, then it won't be added into the logical drive. The ADU logs are very descriptive and useful to know the exact cause.
Vitor Louro

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I've run the ADU and confirmed that in scsi port 2 drive 0 had a error "drive had error", but this is already a (new) replacement disk. If it help i send the output report in attachment.
Does it mean that the new drive is also with errors ?
Vitor Louro

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I've run the ADU and confirmed that in scsi port 2 drive 0 had a error "drive had error", but this is already a (new) replacement disk. If it help i send the output report in attachment.
Does it mean that the new disk is also with errors ?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As indiacted in the ADU log, the logical drive 2 status _Ready to Rebuild " with unit flag 0x11 ( read error ). This indicates that read failure occured on one of its units/drives. I guess this unit is nothing but the newly added drive at SP-2 Drive 0.

The physical drive identification data for the drive shows
Vendor Id: COMPAQ
Product Id: BD03686223
Product Rev: HPB6
Vendor Specific: UUL1P4102881
Serial Number: UUL1P41028810404
SCSI Inquiry Bits: 0x3A
Last Failure Reason: 0x0D (Drive hardware error).

If you look at the other working drives, the firmware version, SCSI Inquiry Bits are different. It look like the SCSI Inquiry bits of the new drive is not correct, maybe because of different firmware version. This may not allow the drive to be included in the LD. This check could be there in array controller firmware.

It is always advisable to have comman disk firmware version in an array.
The bottom line is the disk maynot be at fault but a firmware mismatch.

I would contact the drive vendor and confirm the drive compatibility with this firmware for SA and try with a supported disk with firmware HPB3.
Vitor Louro

Hi,
Sorry the late reply. I've contacted the HP support, and i was advised to actualize the firmware in all the systems (disk, controller, bios) but with no success. So HP support advise to delete RAID 5 volume and create a new one.
Vitor Louro

Hi,
Sorry the late reply. I've contacted the HP support, and i was advised to actualize the firmware in all the systems (disk, controller, bios) but with no success. So HP support advise to delete RAID 5 volume and create a new one.