1752574 Members
5105 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Warranty Sticker Prevents Opening Case

MarkLFT
Occasional Visitor

Warranty Sticker Prevents Opening Case

I have just purchased a new MP110-G7 Server.  This is the first time I have purchased this model, usually I use DL160 units.

When I received the server there is a warranty stocker covering the screws preventing me opening the case.  I have been informed by our distributor that if I break the seals, all warranty is null and void.  But I am unable to add more disk drives or  tape drives without opening the case.

I have never seen this on any previous HP server, and in the past 20 years I have purchased 50 or 60 units.  Can anyone tell me if this is something my distributor is doing? Or is it specific to this model? Or a new policy from HP?

5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Warranty Sticker Prevents Opening Case

Is the model really called MP110-G7? Not ML110 G7? Has the reseller rebranded the server?
MarkLFT
Occasional Visitor

Sorry, you are correct. A typo on my behalf.  It is as you say an ML110-G7

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I don't recall this sticker on any of the ML110 G7 units I've seen.  I'd ask your distributor if this is something they put on the box.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The Maintenance and Service manual for the ML110 G7 certainly lists quite a few internal parts as mandatory Customer Replaceable Units, so HP certainly expects the customer to access the internals of the server.

But if a custom hardware service agreement was included in the purchase deal, it might have had some added conditions. In exchange for a service level above & beyond the standard HP warranty & CarePacks or for certain kind of "turnkey" solutions, the service provider (= your distributor?) might want to maintain a higher level of control on the hardware configuration.

And yes, this means the distributor/service provider may bill you more for configuration changes if you did not get your hardware configuration right when you placed the purchase order. You can think of it as an incentive for proper planning & testing before implementing critical production systems.

But if no such agreement was entered into, it seems rather suspicious. In that case, you might want to contact someone at the main HP organization to verify the warranty conditions, to see if the distributor is trying something underhanded.

MK
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Custom service agreement on a ML110 ?
That would probably cost more than just keeping a couple of them in storage...