5910 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Warranty of midline hard disks inside a Proliant System with 3yr carepack

Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

Warranty of midline hard disks inside a Proliant System with 3yr carepack

Good day to all,

If I have a Proliant DL180Gen9 that I have applied at purchase time the carepack:

U7AT3E / HPE 3 year Foundation Care 24x7 DL180 Gen9 Service

and at the same time i purchased in the same PO the following disks:

782669-B21 / HP 6TB 6G SAS 7.2K rpm LFF (3.5-inch) Midline 1yr Warranty Hard Drive

And hipotetically one (or several) disks fail at month 24. 

1- Will my Proliant 3/3/3 warranty covers the disks?

2- Or is the Foundation Care that covers the disks?

3- Or (see below) Im out of warranty because the disks claim 1yr warranty?

From the HP SAS Hard drives document:

SAS Enterprise hard drives have a 3 year limited warranty regardless of the warranty period for the system in which they are installed.
SAS Midline hard drives have a 1 year limited warranty regardless of the warranty period for the system in which they are installed.

4. Or because of this, then I do have protection and the disks can be replaced?

Service and Support

NOTE: HPE SATA and SAS Hard drives are covered under the HPE Care Pack/ Service Contract applied to the HPE ProLiant Server. No separate HPE Care Packs need to be purchased.

This question is because I want to build a scale-out configuration with large (bigger than 2TB) drives and ENT drives go up to 1.8TB but Midline have 2TB, 4TB and 6TB drives.

Thanks for your advice. My local HP Supplier bailed out on this question and a HP LATAM representative I spoke to was only able to roboticly-read the warranty lines on PDF files and suggested I go with ENT drives for the 3yr warranty avoiding my "I dont need 1.8TB drives" comments.

Thanks for your comments.

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Interested about answers to those questions too.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

I spoke in a very detailed way with a local HPE rep. He said that I can go ahead and buy a DL with warranty 3/1/1+SATA disks with warranty 1yr because If in the same purchase I add a Foundation care (even a NBD) and apply it to the system, the SATA disks will be covered by 3yr too.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yeah, but:

Will the 3/3/3 NBD Foundation Care Service overlap the 3/1/1 and 1/0/0 warranty formulas (respectively of Server and Disks) when it is applied concurrently with (or approximately few days after) the purchase of Server+Disks?

If so (the overlap is not an addition) is like adding just 0/3/3 over Disks and just 0/2/2 over Server...to reach the 3/3/3 threshold offered by NBD...is that right?

Are there restrictions on when (admitted delay?) to apply/pair the Foundation Care Service (NBD or whatever) and the Server/Disks purchase date?

Will it be possible to add a 3 Years HPE Foundation Care Service just before the first Year of Warranty (x/1/1 and 1/x/x) reachs its end instead of adding it concurrently with Server+Options purchase?

I've purchaed and registered an HPE ProLiant DL180 Gen8 few days ago through MyPassport (Server, Disks, RAM DIMMs) - without any additional Foundation Care Service added - and *surprisingly* I found that related 3/1/1 and 1/0/0 Warranties end on dates (on 2019 and 2017) weren't directly related to my real purchase/registration date of September 2016 (I'm reseller, I purchased from an authorized HPE Partner...a large IT Distributor) because "calculated" Warranties' end dates shall end some months (not just days!) before the dates I really expected! Imagine my surprise...

Then the idea of purchasing and applying a 3 Years HPE Foundation Care NBD Service *now* is scaring me if those ones are the premises I'm facing.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner