ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751858 Members
5991 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Watch out there are fake drive Gen8 sleds with non-hp drives on amazon !!

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

Watch out there are fake drive Gen8 sleds with non-hp drives on amazon !!

I bought a 512gb SSD for $400 with HP Smart Carrier! It was a fake carrier with non-hp drive but after looking at the ad it never claime to be genuine!

but the B120, B320, and P420 do not see it as fake. The only thing that is apparent is the big square light is always red. The rest works. It even says Samsung 840 PRO 512gb and Authentication OK.

So be warned that Gen8 drives that seem cheap are probably using these fake sleds. 

So far the DL360e with P420/2gb FBWC using the SAAP 2.0 key to enable HP Smartcache is sick fast! Insane! I will get another drive to setup raid-0 with 1TB SSD READ cache with 6 2TB sas nearline drives. 

Amazing performance! I was using ATTO READ/WRITE verify full benchmark and repeatedly pulled the SSD out with no effects on the data integrity!! The read cache rate was 92% and write hit rate about 30% (??).

My old DL180 G6 with P420/1gb FBWC and dual Emulex BE2 2-port SFP+ is super fast with HP Smartcache! 40gb of ethernet with 10 2TB SSD and 512GB SSD read acceleration! Amazing!

anyways, be careful, the tell tale sign is the red square light is always red, there is no indication that the Samsung 840 pro or the sled is not-genuine according to ACU diagnostics dump.

I would have bought from HP direct but nothing in the value line or $1/gb is in stock!! :(

2 REPLIES 2
Oliver Schulze L.
Occasional Advisor

Re: Watch out there are fake drive Gen8 sleds with non-hp drives on amazon !!

What is fast on ATTO? Do you have any mbytes/s numbers? Thanks

VBO
Frequent Advisor

Re: Watch out there are fake drive Gen8 sleds with non-hp drives on amazon !!

Hello, I tried 4x 512MB Samsung 840 Pro SSD in Raid 5. (strip size 128KB, Full strip 384KB)

Any problem with leds lights. But the SSD Wear Gauge always show 100% (maybe it's right, maybe no)

The only one problem I got is an alternative performance.   I proof it below.

Discovered why VM is slow...

After, i try to found a solution.

I test with SmartArray Accelerator disabled on this SSD Array.
Test_02_SMA_Disabled.png

No very good....

After, i tryed to enabled back the SmartArray Cache with, same like origine, 10-90%

Test_02_SMA_10-90_back.png