1752795 Members
5873 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Weird Science!

K.M. Starr
Occasional Contributor

Weird Science!

I'm wondering if I can put my old Dual Core, PCIe Mother Board into an old Proliant 3000 Server, and plug the Aray Controller into the Dual Core board?!?
Why not?
Of Course, I'll need to shoehorn in an additional power supply for the Dual Core Board, and maybe put in a newer DVD drive. It should work, right?
3 REPLIES 3
K.M. Starr
Occasional Contributor

Re: Weird Science!

Damn it, Jim, it might not work! The hard drive cage uses a completely different power hook-up, which is, of course, controlled by the old Mother Board. So, I need to find a way of cutting on the Proliant's power with some kind of external switch, or relay...Where's the Manual for the Proliant; I need volt/Amp specs for the cage assembly, and...
(Walks away mumbling...)
Murad_3
Frequent Advisor

If you cannae do that then you'll need to re-route via the dilithium chamber.
K.M. Starr
Occasional Contributor

Well, the old board has always acted funny - some times it works, sometimes not; that's why I experiment on it! I ended up putting the Array Controller in a 1 GHZ cabinet, and kept the drive cage hooked to the original power supply. The Desktop system Bios recognized the Controller, but didn't initialize any of the drives in the cage. Probably, because I didn't have the Array Controller hooked to the Desktop machine when I put in the operating system. This time I will have the Controller hooked up, and instead of installing Ubuntu(I wasn't even sure the old computer would even work), I will be installing Ubuntu Server Edition, which I am downloading now.
I'm givin it all she's got, Captain!