1753729 Members
4566 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Weird fileserver hanging / P400 RAID issue

Ed Roche
Advisor

Weird fileserver hanging / P400 RAID issue

DL380G5, 8 Disks: First 2 disks Mirror, 6 disk Raid 5. Win2003/pateched to latest ms updates, firmware and drivers.

Client side hangs for about 7-10 seconds when connected to a drive mapped to a fileshare located on the RAID volume. I have narrowed it down to a RAID issue rather than NIC, OS, or network. Happens during out of hours also. I recreated the issue while in the server room and watched the LEDs on the disks. When the issue occurred the LEDs would stripe across the 6 disks unusually rapidly for 7 to 10 seconds after which the client side would start to respond again. HP have looked at the logs, diags done. i have opened 2 unresolved calls previously. Anyone have any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Ed

so that means

Proliant support pack 8.1?
Firmware CD 8.2?

what about Microsoft storport driver? up to date too?

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Ed Roche
Advisor

When I was on the phone with HP i had downloaded the latest firmware CD and patched the server. The raid controller P400 has 5.20 which I think is the latest. Latest driver etc.

PSP not sure what version.

There is a HBA card also but there is a tape drive on that only. The firmware and driver have been updated on that also.

I found another thread that is exactly like my issue -

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1219830565919+28353475&threadId=1117835

Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

I would definately make sure you have the read/write cache to 50/50. Also, obtain the latest Storport.sys hotfix from Microsoft. We are currently deploying KB946448 which reduced and eliminated multiple hang issues on servers running with P400 and E200 controllers.
Ed Roche
Advisor

I also have the same issue with a DL380 G3 that was rebuilt around the same time as this server. It has a Smart Array 5i. It was working fine as a win2000 server.

Can you send me a link to download this latest storport drv or is it included in the prolaint support pack I will update this weekend?

Thanks for your help!
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755

You can try this one. The other you will need to open a case with MS Support to get. Try searching on the Help and Support site
Ed Roche
Advisor

Thanks Ive updated fw, psp and the storport driver. will revert with results
thanks your help
Ed Roche
Advisor

After psp update, firmware update, storport driver update it still doesnt work. This hanging is driving everyone insane and making my job itolerable. Can anyone help please.

Whats with the read/write 50/50 on the p400 controller? Is this worth looking at?
Ed Roche
Advisor

I think this one has finally been solved. Either upgrading the cache from standard 128mb to 512 cache plus battery (Cache 50/50) or upgrading veritas backupexec from 10d to 11d. After a lot of research and speaking to a proliant consultant it seems that the p400 is a poor piece of kit.