7896 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What Windows 2008 license key to use with SmartStart and KMS

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

What Windows 2008 license key to use with SmartStart and KMS

Hi,

We plan on using KMS for our Windows 2008 deployments. I am not an expert with this, but my understanding is that when using KMS, you don't need to type in a license code on the Windows 2008 server...the select license DVD comes with a built in license code that can automatically register with a valid KMS server.

That being said, when I try to build my first Windows 2008 server using SmartStart 8.1, it prompts me for a license key in the deploy wizard. It will not let me past that screen without typing in a code. So does anyone know what I am supposed to put here to get it past the screen and still work with KMS? I am going to try just all "1", but I don't if that will break the KMS registration process.

Any tips?
thanks
Nelson
5 REPLIES 5
Janss Franden_1

Did you ever figure this out?
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

No, I ended up skipping using SmartStart and just installed Windows 2008 from DVD and installing the 8.1 support pack afterwards.

Nelson
Janss Franden_1

Did you try to use all 0's or 1's? If so what happened? Did it mess up your KMS stuff?
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hmmm - I think it worked. I had to rebuild my image server several times trying to get the SYSPREP and stuff working (nothing like getting a prestine image working only to find Microsoft decides to automatically enable Windows Update to install and reboot at 3:00 AM everyday after you run SYSPREP).

I only tried SmartStart the first time, with all 1's, and then after than I installed Windows 2008 natively. But I think the first time it worked. But I am not 100% positive.

I used to really like SmartStart, but man it has gone down hill with the Windows 2008 setup they have. And it takes like 5 minutes to boot the CD....

Nelson
Janss Franden_1

Thanks