ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753736 Members
4560 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What kind of PCIe network card is required for HP DL320e gen8 v2 server to pass through

SOLVED
Go to solution
CloudStrife
Occasional Visitor

What kind of PCIe network card is required for HP DL320e gen8 v2 server to pass through

server: HP DL320e gen8 v2

cpuя╝Ъintel e3-1240L v3

memoryя╝Ъ8g ecc memory├Ч2

system: ESXI 6.7 u3

цИСхНЗч║зхИ░ф║Ж2019х╣┤цЬАцЦ░чЪДbiosхЫ║ф╗╢я╝Мх╣╢хЬиbiosф╕нх╝АхРпф║ЖцЙАцЬЙшЩЪцЛЯхМЦщАЙщб╣хМЕцЛмvt-d

ц╡ЛшпХф║ЖхМЕцЛмHP NC365Tч╜СхНбф╗ехПКф╜┐чФиintel I350шКпчЙЗчЪДч╜СхНбуАБintel 82576GBч╜СхНбя╝Мш┐Щф║Ыч╜СхНбхЬиESXI 6.7 u3ф╕нхПпф╗ешпЖхИля╝Мф╣ЯхПпф╗еф╜┐чФия╝Мф╜ЖцЧац│Хф╜┐чФиpcieчЫ┤щАЪхКЯшГ╜уАВх╜Уц┐Ац┤╗pcieчЫ┤щАЪх╣╢х╝АхРпч╗Хш┐ЗacsцгАцЯещАЙщб╣хРОя╝Мх░ЖчЫ┤щАЪчЪДшо╛хдЗхИЖщЕНч╗ЩшЩЪцЛЯцЬ║я╝МшЩЪцЛЯцЬ║хЖЕца╕х┤йц║ГцЧац│ХхРпхКия╝МщФЩшппцПРчд║шБФч│╗чФЯф║зхХЖуАВ

цИСф╣ЯшпХш┐Зф╜┐чФиш┐Щф╕кцЦ╣ц│Хя╝Ъhttps://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04781229

ф╛ЭчД╢цЧац│Хф╜┐чФиpcieч╜СхНбшо╛хдЗчЫ┤щАЪ

цЫ┤цНвхИ░linuxф╕Лф╜┐чФиkvmф╣ЯцЧац│ХчЫ┤щАЪ

х╖▓ч╗ПщАЪхо╡х╛ИхдЪхдйцРЬч┤вш╡ДцЦЩхТМх░ЭшпХя╝Мц▓бцЬЙцИРхКЯя╝Мф╣Яц▓бцЬЙхПСчО░HPEхЬиф╗Аф╣ИхЬ░цЦ╣цПРхПКчЫ╕хЕ│ш╡ДцЦЩя╝Мшп╖щЧохУкф║Ыч╜СхНбцФпцМБцндцЬ║хЮЛчЪДpcieчЫ┤щАЪхКЯшГ╜хСвя╝ЯцШпхРжхПпф╗ешойцКАцЬпф║║хСШшзгчнФф╕Аф╕Ля╝Мш░вш░в

Google Translated

Server: HP DL320e gen8 v2

cpu: intel e3-1240L v3

memory: 8g ecc memory ├Ч 2 system: ESXI 6.7 u3

I upgraded to the latest bios firmware in 2019, and opened all virtualization options in bios including vt-d test

Including HP NC365T network card and the use of Intel I350 chip network card, Intel 82576GB network card, these network cards can be identified in ESXI 6.7 u3, can also be used, but can not use the PCIe pass-through function. When pcie pass-through is activated and the bypass ACS check option is enabled, the pass-through device is assigned to the virtual machine, the virtual machine kernel fails to start, and the error prompts to contact the manufacturer.

I also tried to use this method: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04781229

I still ca nтАЩt use the pcie network card device pass-through.

I ca nтАЩt use the kvm under linux.

I тАЩve been searching all night long. The information and attempts have not been successful, and nowhere has HPE mentioned relevant information. Which network cards support the pcie pass-through function of this model?

Can the technical staff answer it?

Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Re: What kind of PCIe network card is required for HP DL320e gen8 v2 server to pass through

Hi,

ESXi 6.7 not supported on this server model as per support matrix,

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/vmware.aspx

however from the link you have mentioned in your post,

NIC pass-through with HPE ProLiant Gen8-series servers with HPE PCI network adapters using Intel Ethernet controllers or third-party NICs

ProLiant Gen8-series servers, with the exception of the HP ProLiant DL580 Gen8 server, can be configured to support device pass-through for following set of NICs:

• HP Ethernet 1GB 2-port 361T Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 1GB 4-port 366M Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 10GB 2-port 560SFP+ Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 10GB 2-port 560M Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 10GB 2-port 561T Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 10GB 1-port P560SFP+ Adapter

Also based on the server quickspec i can see following NIC are supported

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/gethtml.aspx?docname=c04123220

HP Networking

Gigabit Ethernet Adapters

HP NC112T PCI Express Gigabit Server Adapter

503746-B21

HP NC365T 4-port Ethernet Server Adapter

593722-B21

HP Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 361T Adapter

652497-B21

HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331T Adapter

647594-B21

HP Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332T Adapter

615732-B21

10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
NOTE: A minimum of two Gigabytes (2 GB) of server memory is required per each adapter.

HP NC523SFP 10Gb 2-port Server Adapter

593717-B21

HP NC552SFP 10Gb 2-port Ethernet Server Adapter

614203-B21

HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530T Adapter

656596-B21

HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 560SFP+ Adapter

665249-B21

Not sure whether using 560SFP+ Adapter will solve this issue but you can try.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

CloudStrife
Occasional Visitor
Solution

thanks for the quickly answer. after almost half month investigation. I finally realized this issue is caused by bios. HP doesn't supply a fixed bios firmware for old servers(gen7 or gen8 series) to disable RMRR.

I tried to patch linux's kernel and forced it bypass RMRR.

now my HP DL320e gen8 v2 can use pcie passthrough function on both HP nc365T and HP nc112T cards. (and I believe other NICs too, can use pcie passthrough function now)

I can even assign any single port of these NICs to virtual machine(centos etc.).  the virtual machine recognizes MAC address of these port correctly.

to others who want ot use pcie passthrough function on their gen7 or gen8 series servers:

DON'T WASTED YOUR TIME. PATCHING LINUX KERNEL IS THE ONLY WAY OUT.

1crb1

Re: What kind of PCIe network card is required for HP DL320e gen8 v2 server to pass throug

Hi, I'm having similar issues trying to passthrough a nic on Proxmox on a DL360P Gen8 V2. I know this post is rather old, but I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction for patching the kernel to bypass RMRR. Did you follow a guide or just experiment until you got it working? Any advice is much appreciated.