ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What processors can this server support?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What processors can this server support?

I currently have a 450 PII Proliant 1850R. I am looking into a possible processor upgrade for this box, does anybody know what speed processors are possible? Are PIII's supported?
3 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: What processors can this server support?

The ProLiant 1850R 6/450 can be upgraded to a 500MHz or 550MHz or to a 600MHz system.
Processor mixing is not supported so the original processor and Processor Power Module (PPM) must be removed.
Additionally, a Thermal Upgrade Kit (PN 144003-B22) must be installed when upgrading these systems to 600MHz.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I've read about the Thermal Kit in seveeral places. I have an 1850R PIII 600 with a single processor. I have found a definitive answer about the Thermal Kit if I add a second Processor and the system started with a single PIII 600. Will I need it?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If you do NOT have it already - yes, you need it. Odds are, your system already has the kit since it was a 600 to start with. It's a plastic baffle and a set of gaskets designed to help direct airflow over the CPU(s) better. Should be fairly obvious - but check the attached install card to compare what you have now: