ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752571 Members
5309 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What should be displayed on SMH on OEL host?

Chris Hasler
Advisor

What should be displayed on SMH on OEL host?

What information/options should be displayed when I log into the SMH on a Oracle Enterprise Linux host?

When I log into the SMH as the root user, I don't see many options and what I do see doesn't offer much information.

I have an a OEL 5.3 host on which I've installed the HP PSP 8.31 for OEL 5.

I installed the following rpm's from the PSP.
cpqacuxe-8.30-5.0.noarch.rpm
hpacucli-8.30-5.0.noarch.rpm
hpdiags-8.3.0-14.linux.x86_64.rpm
hp-health-8.3.1.2-2.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hp-ilo-8.3.0-118.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hpmouse-1.1.2-33.noarch.rpm
hponcfg-2.2.0-5.noarch.rpm
hp-OpenIPMI-8.3.1-15.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hpsmh-3.0.2-77.x86_64.rpm
hp-smh-templates-8.3.0.9-13.noarch.rpm
hp-snmp-agents-8.3.0.27-24.rhel5.x86_64.rpm

The hp snmp agents, hp-health, hp-ilo and hpsmhd services are running on the host.

I've configured my /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file with a rocommunity and rwcommunity string for the local and remote hosts.

I've also configured the access for the System Management Homepage (SMH).

I can access and authenticate to the SMH just fine. But when I do so I only see the Overall Status Summary and Storage and System subsystem categories on the Home Page. Also the System Model is listed as NULL even though the Insight Management Agents are installed and running.

What I see on the Home page is attached.

Shouldn't there be more? Is this an issue with OEL?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris H.
10 REPLIES 10
wobbe
Respected Contributor

I guess this also depends on your hardware. If you server is not supported what you see could be correct. Also I would use the installation script it's on the cdrom in /compaq/cps/linux/installxxx.xh.
You probaly need to edit/etc/redhat-release.
The content of the file should read "Red hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)" But I'm not sure if this is relevant for OEL. (it is for CentOS)
Chris Hasler
Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I did not have the CD for the installation of the PSP rather downloaded it and followed the installation instuctions.

My /etc/redhat-release already contains what you suggest.
# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)

Also I have another OEL 5.3 host which is the same as the one with the SMH issues, DL385 G5p. I installed the RPM's from the OEL software bundle, oel5.3.0-bundle.tar.gz rather than the PSP on that one.

The rpm's installed there were:
hpacucli-8.25-5.noarch.rpm
hpsmh-3.0.0-68.x86_64.rpm
hpadu-8.25-5.noarch.rpm
cpqacuxe-8.25-5.noarch.rpm
hpdiags-8.2.0-479.linux.i586.rpm
h-health-8.2.0-283.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hp-snmp-agents-8.2.0-284.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hp-OpenIPMI-8.2.0-285.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hp-smh-templates-8.2.0-282.noarch.rpm
hp-ilo-8.2.0-236.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hpmouse-1.1.1-41.noarch.rpm
hponcfg-1.9.0-3.noarch.rpm

I configured the snmpd.conf and the hpsmh access exactly the same as the system with SMH issues.

On this host, which is the same hardware, same OS, but earlier versions of the HP software, I see more options on the SMH when I log in.

I see the Recovery, Storage, System and Utilization subsystems. However the System Model is also NULL. Also there is not much information when I follow the links under each subsystem...but at least there is more.

Does anyone know version of the HP software will actually show valid detailed information on the SHM for OEL/RHEL 5.3 hosts?

Thanks,
Chris H.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

See SMH attachement of DL380G5 with CentOS 5.3 This is what you should see. But then again these are different servers. (Intel vs. AMD)
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Same server but with RHEL 5.3 and SMH v3.x
Chris Hasler
Advisor

Thanks very much for the screen caps. Something is definately not right.

Attached is what I see on the DL385 G5ps. The top image is from the host running running hpsmh-3.0.0-68. The bottom image is from the host running hpsmh-3.0.2-77. Both hosts are Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL) 5.3.

I wonder if the agents aren't working well with the AMD platforms. I don't have any Linux servers with Intel chips to test.

Chris H.
Chris Hasler
Advisor

I've been looking through the /var/log/hp-snmp-agents/cma.log on both hosts that I'm having issues with the SMH.

When I stop and then restart the hp-snmp-agents the agents start but I do see the following error in the log.

Jan 20 17:08:03 anode cmahostd[6693]: cannot opendir(/var/spool/compaq/hpasm/registry/host/../threshold)

Looking at that path I see:
/var/spool/compaq/hpasm/registry/ with several subdirectories under it, one of which is /host and another is /thereshold...could this possibly be the issue that something in the agents is not looking for the right path?

Thanks,
Chris H.
Chris Hasler
Advisor

I figured it out.

I had manually edited the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file and did not have the following at the top:
dlmod cmaX /usr/lib/libcmaX.so

Once I added the the statement to include the dynamically loadable module and restarted snmpd, hp-snmp-agents and hpsmhd everything started to click.

Attached is what I see now.

Chris Hasler
Advisor

Had to add
dlmod cmaX /usr/lib/libcmaX.so
to the top of the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file.
Chris Hasler
Advisor

Sorry I realized I put the wrong information in my post.

The correct entry to the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file is:
dlmod cmaX /usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so