ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753758 Members
4591 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: What to do if you need just event notification?

xyzabcd
Occasional Contributor

What to do if you need just event notification?

Hi forum,

please help me finding out how to install event notification on an ML Proliant (370G6) system with Windows Server 2008 R2. I read a lot up to now but even don't understand the nomenclature. Do I  need "SIM"? Or do I need "SPP" or "PSP"? I tried downloading SPP version 2012.08, which seems to include firmware, driver updates and all I need, but can I install ONLY event notification with this? I already  launched hpsum.exe on SPP DVD, but it seems to install a lot of things which I probably do not need just for the purpose of having an event notification for a single server. Could you help with a hint what to download and what or how to install?

Thanks so much for your help and regards,

Stefano

PS

There are two addtional similar servers, so I assume that i have to install event notification on all three systems. Sorry for all these questions!!

3 REPLIES 3
xyzabcd
Occasional Contributor

No one folks?

PGTRI
Honored Contributor
xyzabcd
Occasional Contributor

Hi PGTRI,

thanks a lot, you pointed me in the right direction. Following your link gave me an idea what has to be installed.  I then took an image of an SPP ("Service Pack for Proliant"). First you have to google around to find out, what to do with it: You have to start "HPSUM.EXE" ("HP Software Update Manager"?) in some sub directory. I then found out that the needed modules for event notification are present on this DVD image and that you can select them (and deselect the other tons of stuff).  In the next step HPSUM warns you that there are dependencies, which must be installed either - this is one really good feature of HPSUM respectivly SPP. Finally I decided not to search for and select a dozen agents or drivers and I just installed all of the SPP - and there was it, the event notification in start / programs! The rest was just a little configuration of smtp server and stuff like that and I could generate a test mail from control panel / "HP Management Agents".

Thanks again,

Stefano