New Discussion

Re: When power up hpdl380 server, monitor is black, fan nonstop work

SOLVED
Go to solution
setare
Frequent Advisor

When power up hpdl380 server, monitor is black, fan nonstop work

Hello all,
Today i work with my hpdl380 g6, meanwhile working with it, i power it off, then power up it, but it just a black monitor, fan worked non stop. I wait About 5 minutes, but nothing changed. Repeat it but no result.
These days i work with the server , during my tests For turning it off, i push and hold power key.
I would appreciate any body that advise me.
10 REPLIES 10
setare
Frequent Advisor

Please, Any advice as soon as possible.
setare
Frequent Advisor

its better to say monitor black, fan nonstop laudly work!
Tech_Aniket
HPE Pro

Hello setare,

As per the description, i understand that there is no display on screen but fan continues to work.

Here are some troubleshooting steps to isolate the problem - 

1. Try a different monitor and check the status.

If a different monitor is not available use this monitor and cable with other server and test.

Basically isolate any issue with cable and monitor.

2. As per the quickspecs - https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=c04282582

There are two video connectors :-

• Front View --> 11. Video connector
  • Rear View --> 10. Video connector

Please try different video connector and test?

3. Let the server boot and then try to ping the IP and see if we get a response?

4. Try to SSH to the server and see if you are able to establish a connection with the server?

Please reply in case if you have any question.

Thank you

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

setare
Frequent Advisor

Hello every body,
Thank Tech_Aniket for your reply,
I think that the monitor and its input (front and rear input), are not the cause. Be cause :
1- Hdd as normally blink for a short time at first that i push power button, yello-green, blue then it became off(it’s bad), In normal condition after POST the under service hdd led is continuous yellow-green color. For application it has some blink ..
2-In normal condition fans work loudly just before hp logo display that take about 3 minutes. It is a bad sound as bad as booing airplane motors! But know it take longer. I check it up to 5 minute. And monitor is remain black no hp logo not other things, Then i can tolerate, and power off.

I want to explain more, Today:
A) i insert new hdd , turn on the server, i check raid controller, raid 1+0 is existed and is viewed, Exit ORCA with f8, Normally it goes to RBSU. Press Esc, press f10 to exit RBSU , go to restart, monitor send no data error so i push and hold power button( first push and hold power button),
B) Then exchaned hdd with full hdd, power up, boot normally, OS and application was OK, so i verify that i’m ready to start back up test with Acronis.
C) restart to boot from Acronis CD to take back up, take back up by Acronis, exit ACronis to change hdd for restore with new empty hdd, it restart server, monitor send no data report, so i push and hold power button( 2 nd push and hold power button)
D) Change hdd, power on but the problem is star. I power up server 3 to 4 time but fault did not clear.
**** off course i remember that accidentally i push ( for short time not more than 2 second may be), UID key. It was after 2nd push-hold power button or during faulty power up! I don't know what is UID key used for?
To summarize:
1- These days i work with server for back up- restore test, each day i powered it off by push and hold power key about 4 to 5 times a day. Is it harmful?
2- Today in last faulty power on or may be just before the faulty power on i accidentally push UID key. Does it has effect on server operation?
Thank for every body advices and Teck_Aniket precious attention.
setare
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I correct the text:
I can’t tolerate ( fan sound) and powered it off.
setare
Frequent Advisor

Hi every body,
Fortunately, today at first power on system fault disappeared by chance. I ‘m not sure what is the solution, may be time or power unplug completely, ...
Have a good time all.,
Tech_Aniket
HPE Pro

Hello setare,

Good to hear that server is back up and running!!

I assume that power unplug/power drain might have helped to resolve this.

Another suggestion that i would like to give is to use iLO to perform power ON and OFF multiple times in a day. 

Here is the guide for iLO 2 - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00553302.pdf

This guide also talks about UID functionality.

Thank you.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

setare
Frequent Advisor

Hello Tech_Aniket,
Thank you very much, I will read it.
Hope can use it.
setare
Frequent Advisor

Hello @Tech_Aniket 
I have a question about useful HP document,
Is it possible to save or download Hp pdf manual ?
Would you pls advise?
Hope people be happy and healthy.