ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753772 Members
5282 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Where does Raid configuration stored?

MikeBroojeni
Occasional Contributor

Where does Raid configuration stored?

Server1:
A smart array 532 with 6 hot swap 36GB is configured with two set of raid 5 (each has 3 disks)
It is installed in a ML350 G3 with windows 2000

Server2:
A smart array 641 with no disk on it
A ML350 G4P with windows 2000

Question:
Can I move the disks from Server1 to the Server2. And expecting SA641 to detect the existing raid configuration on the disks.

Technicality:
Is the raid configuration stored in RAID CONTROLER or is stored on HARD DISKS?

PS: SA641 was used before on a Server3 to hold 3 different raids. Do I need to clear the SA641 in anyway from itтАЩs old configuration?

Regards,
8 REPLIES 8
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

the raid config is held on the disks.

hth

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The RAID configuration is stored on the disks.

If you are going to try to boot server 2 with the disks from server 1, you will need (may need) to update the registry first on server 1 with the SA641 registry entry.

From the sounds of it, you just want to be able to use the disks in server 2 as they were in server 1? and just be able to access the data...?

You should not need to do anything to the 641 for it to work (clear config, etc). Just make sure all the drivesin the original array are there.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
MikeBroojeni
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Considering your comments and my test it is suspicious:

In order to be in safa side I did following test and result was no good

I setup 2 disks on server 2 on the raid 1 (on ID 5,6)
Trun the machine off
Then relocate the disks to ID 0,1
Restart the server
Expecting as you said, RAID reads the config from the disks, but it is giving me a message, (Original position has changed)
When windows comes up, the disk is not recognized

I├в m afraid of moving the disk from server 1 to the server 2 and not only it does not detect them, but also, corrupt something or cause some problem to putting them back into original server1

Any idea?
MikeBroojeni
Occasional Contributor

Here is the exact message:

Device position appear to have been changed.
Run Array Diagnostics Utility (ADU) if previouse positions are unknown.
Then turn system power OFF and move drives to their original positions.

However in one ocasion it gave me the option to press F2 and FAIL all unavailable disks and reboot, in that case it did detect the raid but not anymore
MikeBroojeni
Occasional Contributor

Here is the exact message:

Select F1 to continue - all logical drive(s) will remain disabled.
Select F2 to fail drive(s) that are not responding - Interim Recovery mode will be enabled if configured for fault tolerance.

When I receive this message system will read the config from the disk, otherwise, it does not load any disk.

Disk which is configured on ID 0 plays a big rule, as when I have that one in place, it does give me better result however it is random
Shaun Honsvick

The ARRAy information is stored on the disks. I have successfully moved data arrays from a ML350G3 with 532 controller to a ML350G4P with 642 controller. wiped the G3 and rebuilt it then migrated the data Array back to the 532. The key was to turn off each server then move the arrays. Also each server has to have its own OS running.

As to why moving from positions 4,5 to 0,1 and not booting. chances are you need to modify your boot.ini. Create Win2000 Boot disk with all the possible MULTI/SCSI combiniations and try them all until one works. Once found update the boot.ini on the hard disks and you should be pleasantly suprised.
Johnny von Heimerall
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mike,

This totally depends on if the different array cards uses the same meta data coding.

This can even vary on the same controller cards depending on FW revisions.
IE. there can be a newer fw for SA641 which uses different meta data coding than an older fw of SA641, rendering it not possible to migrate the array even between the same models.
DFowler_1

Steven,
above you made the statement "RAID configuration is stored on the drives". I am being required to provide a document stating this. Do you know where or can you provide the URL where HP states the RAID config is stored on the drives?

Thanks,
Dan