ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753601 Members
6614 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Which Part(s) for Front Fan on Proliant M150 G6

Andy Moore_1

Which Part(s) for Front Fan on Proliant M150 G6

I recently purchased a Proliant M150 G6 server. I bought it with one CPU and want to add a second. I'm not sure which fan I need to complete this upgrade. The Maintenance and Service guide lists two parts for the front fan:

SPS-FAN, FRONT SYSTEM 519737-001
SPS-FAN, PCI & HOLDER 519740-001

Do I need both of these parts? One or the other? What's the difference between the two?

Right now, there is nothing in the case where this fan should go.

Thanks in advance for helping me out and putting up with such a newbie .
8 REPLIES 8
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Andy, what server do you mean? If you mean ML150 G6, it has only one CPU socket.
Andy Moore_1

Sorry - mistyped it originally. It's an ML150 G6, and I assure you there are two CPU slots. I actually when ahead and installed the CPU and heat sink not realizing I needed a fan. The server recognized the CPU but wasn't happy about no fan :). It was nice enough to give me a very helpful error message that Fan 1 was missing before shutting down, though.
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Wops... I was really wrong :). As for your upgrade: what was p\n of the second CPU that you have added? I mean, if first CPU has p\n something like 507849-B21 then the second should be 507849-L21 and "L21" suffix should contain everything you need to run second CPU. Look here for all p\n's: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13249_div/13249_div.HTML
Andy Moore_1

Thanks for the response. I didn't realize HP would sell a kit that has everything I would need - I'm guessing fan included, correct?

I purchased the CPU and heat sink separately, so I'm not about to buy them again - I just need the fan.

For the record, the CPU is the Intel Xeon E5504, which would correspond to part# 507721-L21.

So back to the original question, which fan is correct for my situation:

SPS-FAN, FRONT SYSTEM 519737-001
SPS-FAN, PCI & HOLDER 519740-001

?
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Hm... If server is showing an error about only one fan, on your place i'd buy 519737-001 (which, i suppose, should be the lower one).
Andy Moore_1

Thanks. That's what I thought too - I went ahead and purchased 519737-001, installed it this morning and (fingers crossed) everything seems to be working fine.

The case has three slots labeled for the front fan - fan 1, fan 2, and fan 1.5 (in between fan 1 and 2). I guessed that fan 1.5 was the position for the new fan - it's pretty much in front of the heat sink for the second CPU.

Thanks again for the advice.
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

You welcome! :)
Kamran80

Hi,

Please someone explain difference between L21 and B21 parts e.g. for processors, L21 suffix are not showing fan and heat sink in HP part surfer where as B21 suffix does show them.

Does that imply L21 is used when you order processor with server you are buying, it is factory integrated and would not require any additional heat sink or latch or fan assembly, whereas if you are ordering processor only, you should order with part B21 so you get hs+fan+latches for assembling yourself complete processor kit?

Am i correct in above understanding?

Refernce from HP part surfer (details omitted where hs+fan mentioned in B21 only):

Product Number : 715218-L21   Description : HP DL380P GEN8 E5-2650V2 FIO KIT

Product Number : 715218-B21   Description : HP DL380P GEN8 INTEL XEON E5-2650V2 (2.6GHZ/8-CORE/20MB/95W) PROCESSOR KIT