ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752806 Members
5784 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Which Power Regulator mode sets the best performace per watt?

notooth
Occasional Advisor

Which Power Regulator mode sets the best performace per watt?

Can anyone tell me the which Power Regulator mode below sets the best performance per watt for HP servers?

• Dynamic Power Savings Mode
  • Static Low Power Mode
  • Static High Performance Mode
  • OS Control Mode
3 REPLIES 3
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: Which Power Regulator mode sets the best performace per watt?

Hello @notooth.,

If 'Performance per Watt' or 'best of power efficiency without compromising performance' is the goal, 'Dynamic Power Savings Mode' is the best option.

This mode automatically regulates power usage based on processor utilization. This mode uses an ROM-based algorithm to monitor processor activity. It can reduce overall power consumption with little or no impact to performance, and does not require OS support.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @notooth,

Good day!

Sharing the information : 

1. Dynamic Power Savings ModeтАФAutomatically varies processor speed and power usage based on processor utilization. This mode uses an ROM-based algorithm to monitor processor activity. It can reduce overall power consumption with little or no impact to performance, and does not require OS support.
  2. Static Low Power ModeтАФReduces processor speed and power usage. Guarantees a lower maximum power usage for the system. This mode is useful in environments where power availability is constrained and it is critical to lower the maximum power use of the system.
  3. Static High Performance ModeтАФProcessors run in the maximum power and performance state, regardless of the OS power management policy. This mode is useful in environments where performance is critical and power consumption is less important.
  4. OS Control ModeтАФProcessors run in their maximum power and performance state at all times, unless the OS enables a power management policy

You may choose the Mode depending on the requirement.

Also please note that if you are running Critical applications and multiple VMs better would be to select - Static High Performance Mode.

If you use : Dynamic Power Savings Mode it would Automatically varies processor speed and power usage based on processor utilization and it doesnt not depend of OS.

It would be suggested to change the settings as per your requirement.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @notooth 

Good day!

Sharing the link with details : 

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/iss/proliant_uefi/UEFI_TM_030617/s_set_hp_power_regulator.html#

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo