ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752433 Members
6068 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which RILOE (II) boards fit the ML370 G3?

SOLVED
Go to solution
gyrobbie
Occasional Advisor

Which RILOE (II) boards fit the ML370 G3?

The server I have at home for study and hobby makes a lot of noise, so that is one reason why I'm really happy with it's abilities to be remotely managed. Being an, er,  unwealthy student, I was really pleased to find a site on the net where a number of second-hand RILOE (II) boards can be had for as little as тВм 5,- ! Unfortunately, the only board that according to the Quick Specs will fit in my ML370, has a different part-number, namely 227251-001, than the boards listed on the site. These are the cheapies as listed in the resellers catalog: 
I tried, but could not find out the precise differences between these boards, so I hope very much someone can tell me whether any of these boards (preferably the RILOE II of course) will function in my ML370 G3 (P28) with 2x Xeon 3,06 GHz? Thank you!
10 REPLIES 10
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The quickspecs show the ML370 G3 to have embedded iLO. iLO was the 1st generation embedded management that replaced the stand up RILOE boards.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
gyrobbie
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, Jimmy.

So you say there's no point in installing a RILOE card in the ML370 G3, because the embedded iLO more recent (and thus delivers about the same functionality).  But placing a RILOE II must make sense, as it is listed in the same QuickSpecs as an option. As I understand it, without an Advanced License the embedded Standard iLO lacks a number of functions that the RILOE II can perform, like virtual (USB) devices.

As I cannot find documentation on the differences (if any) between the RILOE II cards with different part-numbers, thanks to your input my question now narrows down to the RILOE II cards. So, would a RILOE II with number 232386-001 function in a ML370 G3, where the QuickSpecs mention RILOE II card number 227251-001 as the only Management Option? 

And, more generally, would you agree that the result of installing this hardware is about the same as freeing up the Advanced functions of  iLO by applying a license?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

What OS will you be running and what all do you want to be able to do with either iLO or RILOE?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
jmquesadarivel
Frequent Advisor

your server already has ILO gen1 integrated, look for a trial license at hp to gain all funtionality and test if thats what u r looking for, if so you can get a full license somewhere

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/tryinsightcontrol/index.html

SFHR
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Spoiler

Hi,

Here is the answer to your prime question: YES

you can use the RILOE II board with part number 232386-001 in your server. Please note its the same RILOE II with part number 227251-021. The difference is the part number you are finding in market 232386-001 is for the RILOE II Board, whereas the part number shown in quickspecs is for complete RILOE II Kit. For your reference please find attached the part surfer result.

Make sure to obtain all necessary cables/accessories from the supplier, as you need to have 30 pin internal cable to install RILOE Board in your system. Default Slot probably is 7, where you would be able to find RILOE II on board internal cable connector.

By installing RILOE II in your server your integrated ILO would be disabled. You need to configure your RILOE II through RILOE ROM setup utility. Don't forget to upgrade firmware and drivers for RILOE II easily available from HP.COM.

For Configuration and usage please refer to RILO II User guide:

h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/.../SupportManual/.../c00211914.pdf

Please feel free to ask for further assistance.

Regards//
SF Hussain

Help others for better Tomorrow

Sorry forgot to atatch part surfer result.

Regards//
SF Hussain

Help others for better Tomorrow

Thanks for your suggestion, jmquesadarivel. Getting a trial license is exactly what I did. And indeed, the unlocked extra functions are just what made me pursuing this so hard. So for the coming 47 days or so I'm OK.... But after that, I must decide between getting an Advanced License for тВм 326,- (from an official HP dealer), or at least $ 50,- (cheapest price on eBay), or install a RILOE II card that I believe gives me about the same functionality, but for only тВм 5,- or so. Being a budgetless student, with no company meeting my IT expenses, the choice seems obvious. If only I would be sure of RILOE II providing what I expect of it (i.e. the Standard ILO stuff, plus Virtual Devices, Remote Desktop, Virtual Serial Port,  etc.), and of the products that will actually work in my ML370 G3. The 227251-001 is the one mentioned in the ML370 G3 QuickSpecs, but the seemingly same card with product number 232386-001 is on offer for тВм 5,-.... So I really hope someone can tell me the difference between the two. Or how I could find out myself, of course.

gyrobbie
Occasional Advisor

Oh wow! Just what I needed! Thanks s├│ much! I just posted my reply to jmquesadarivel, and now I see your ten minute old answer...
And thanks too for the advice on firmware, slot and cable, that confirms my thoughts. (only small problem is the slot, it should be nr. six, but this is where the 642 SmartArray resides...)
gyrobbie
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I got it! Thanks once more!