1748183 Members
3439 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which SCSI controller for new ML370

Dale Corrington
Advisor

Which SCSI controller for new ML370

I want to quote a new server (ML370G4), but am not sure what controller I need. My config will be
Raid 1 on 2 HD for OS
Raid 5 on 4 HD for Data
external SCSI tape backup
I assume I need the "backplane kit" for the dual RAID, but it says onboard controller must have 2 unused channels or add other controller.
So do I need an addition controller?
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Dale:

The ML370 has 6 U320 Drive slots so your set there.

Which model are you goign to get? The SCSI model or the SAS model? Also, are you getting the High Performance model?

If so, it already comes with a Smart Array Controller, if not.. you can get either the 6402 or the P600 depending on your drive types.

For yout external SCSI tape Backup device, it is generally best to use a standard SCSI adaptor. You should be able to configure the server so that the 6 drives are on one channel of the Smart Array and one channel from the onboard SCSI adaptor is usable externally.

You should not need any backplane kit. You can confgure both RAID arrays on one channel of the Smart Array.

If you just want to be safe, you can add in an additional SCSI controller for the tape drive so that it is totally seperate. The single channel Ultra320 HBAG2 would probably the cheaper option.

64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2 374654-B21

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Dale Corrington
Advisor

I am getting the 370 SCSI, but not the HI Perfomance. If I don't need the Backplane to do 2 RAIDs, then what is it for?
Dale Corrington
Advisor

The server part # is 374489-001, and it comes with "integrated dual channel ultra320 scsi adapter".
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Dale:

Assuming your talking about...

ML350/ML370 Duplex Ultra320 SCSI Backplane Kit 339323-B21

This device is used to convert the single SCSI backplane into a Duplex SCSI backplane so that you can split your drives to 2 seperate channels of either a SCSI controller or a Smart Array Controller. You don't "need" this to configure 2 different Arrays, only to split the disks across multiple channels of the Array Controller to potentially get better performance and/or some redundancy.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Dale Corrington
Advisor

I understand now. So then if I get the backplane kit I would use both channels of the standard controller and need to add another SCSI controller to add a tape drive. Right?
Claudio Galli

I have same problem, and understand wich part to buy

But price list of duplex adapter seem to be very high (more than 100 ├в ┬м) for this kind of spare parts

I think distributors are selling the full backplane, not only the duplex option

How much will really cost duplex backplane option kit ?

Thanks