ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752779 Members
6025 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Which do you perform first, Firmware updates using Service Pack for Proliant (SPP) or ESXi updates?

OSUBrian
Visitor

Which do you perform first, Firmware updates using Service Pack for Proliant (SPP) or ESXi updates?

What is the best practice for using the SPP and updateing ESXi version.

I am currently running on firmware provided by the April 2016 SPP (2016.4.0) and the HPE customized ESXi 6 iso from April.

I would like to update the firmware on our Proliant DL380 G7's and G8's to version provided in the latest SPP and also upgrade ESXi to the latest version provided by HP. 

I have downloaded both the latest SPP (2016.10.0) and the HPE custom ESXi iso (VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-Update2-3620759-HPE-600.9.6.0.49-Oct2016.iso).

I would think that one should update the servers firmware first using the SPP, and then update ESXi to the latest version, but if I recall (can't seem to find it now) the SPP documentation suggests updating ESXi first and then running the SPP.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Which do you perform first, Firmware updates using Service Pack for Proliant (SPP) or ESXi upda

More or less I had the same doubts, exposed here (that post would probably be of help).

Edit: IMHO first update device drivers software versions at OS level, then update device firmwares versions (online or offline)...I recall I've seen this notice in a HP slide about ProLiant servers.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner