New Discussion юеВ

Which is mirror and which is main?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Akram_11
Frequent Visitor

Which is mirror and which is main?

Hello Guys,

I've a Proliant DL380 GEN10 server, and I've one array containing 2 logical drives:

• Logical drive 01 (RAID 1) contains 2 physical drives, so as per my understanding that drive 1 is main and drive 2 is its mirror, correct?
  • Logical drive 02 (RAID 1+0) contains 6 physical drives, 3,4,5,6,7 and 8. So which one is main and which one is its mirro?  Like 3 is main and 4 is its mirror or 3,4 and 5 is main and 6,7 and 8 are their mirrors?

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Which is mirror and which is main?

Sinces writes are done in parallel the drives are equal, no master and slave concept.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Akram_11
Frequent Visitor

Hi Torsten,

I'm not an expert but what I understood from the attached picture is that the data will be stripped into 3 groups as my case as for physical drive 3 and 4 (Group-1) and drive 5 and 6 (Group-2) and drive 7 and 8 (Group-3). The data is stripped into those 3 groups and in each group the data is dupicated for each 2 physical drives. So whatever is on drive 3 is the same as 4. 

You can correct me if I understood worng. Thanks so much for your support

https://cdn.ttgtmedia.com/rms/editorial/storage_raid_10_mobile.png 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You are right and now I think I understand your question ...

You have mirrored pairs of disks and the stripes goes across these mirrored groups.

2021-10-05 13_34_00-Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array Controllers Reference Guide - Foxit PDF Rea.png

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Raid1- RAID array does not do any striping but uses the second drive purely for data mirroring.

(RAID 1+0) - Combination of RAID 1 and RAID 0, often called RAID 1+0. This is the most optimal solution as it combines data striping and data mirroring

raid1.JPG

Diagrams A, B, C, D, E and F represents blocks,

• For example, if you have a total of 6 disks in RAID 10, there will be three groupsтАУGroup 1, Group 2, Group 3 as shown in the above diagram.
  • Within the group, the data is mirrored. In the above example, Disk 1 and Disk 2 belongs to Group 1. The data on Disk 1 will be exactly same as the data on Disk 2. So, block A written on Disk 1 will be mirroed on Disk 2. Block B written on Disk 3 will be mirrored on Disk 4.
  • Across the group, the data is striped. i.e Block A is written to Group 1, Block B is written to Group 2, Block C is written to Group 3.
I Haq