ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751940 Members
4943 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Which memory chip is bad and can I keep using the blade?

ServerPains
Frequent Advisor

Which memory chip is bad and can I keep using the blade?

I started getting warnings about a bad memory slot but the socket number seems to keep changing.

23		POST Message	04/27/2022 00:43	04/27/2022 00:43	2	POST Error: 207-Memory initialization error on Processor 1 Socket 3. The operating system may not have access to all of the memory installed in the system.
	22		POST Message	04/27/2022 00:43	04/27/2022 00:15	4	POST Error: 207-Memory initialization error on Processor 1 Socket 4. The operating system may not have access to all of the memory installed in the system.
	21		POST Message	05/24/2019 02:31	05/24/2019 02:31	1	POST Error: 207-Memory initialization error on Processor 1 Socket 3. The operating system may not have access to all of the memory installed in the system.
	20		POST Message	05/24/2019 00:03	05/24/2019 00:03	2	POST Error: 207-Memory initialization error on Processor 1 Socket 3. The operating system may not have access to all of the memory installed in the system.

2022-04-26_190713.jpg

How can I know which chip is actually being bad and how do I find that socket number? I went through this before and it was a mess. Had to change all of the memory out since I could not find the correct socket.

Also, does this mean the system is degraded in the sense that this is slowing it down or only that it's missing one sihp and I can keep using it as usual for a while?

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Which memory chip is bad and can I keep using the blade?

Hi,

As I dont see the server model in your post, I am responding in general terms.

Proc1, Socket 3 is degraded and Socket 4 is Unused, assuming socket 3 & 4 are in the same channel.
It would be better to check the memory configuration guidelines based on the server model and processor installed.

Thank You!
I work with HPE but opinions expressed here are mine.
Recent Support Video Releases

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ServerPains
Frequent Advisor

I'm sorry about that, I thought I had included it.

It's the HP6500 with Gen8 sl230s blades, 650048-B21.

I don't understand why the rest of the sockets say 'partially in use'.

I have never been able to find memory information for my blades other than the manuals which don't explain things well enough.

ServerPains
Frequent Advisor

Any chance someone knows if this blade can be used? It's not clear to me if it's going to be slower or affected.

I very much need to put it to use if it can be used as it is.

ServerPains
Frequent Advisor

I don't know what to think other than something HP programmed in to make owners crazy to want to buy HP branded memory to get the 'special' features I am not interested in. That was the problem, it could have saved me weeks of stress by simply telling me that.