Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which model (SAS or SCSI) suit my need for a Application Server

Alpaje
Occasional Contributor

Which model (SAS or SCSI) suit my need for a Application Server

Greetings,

Hi i am currently looking into changing my Oracle DB server. I am in the mid of researching DL380 SAS and SCSI model with dual core processor.

I would like to know beside the difference in harddisk/controller card, which model has a better performance? Since i am using the server for Oracle DB thus performance issue is critical for me. I intend to configure Raid 1+0.

I have also come across term like HPM (high performance model), can someone please advice me where can i find more info on this model? Thanks for all your help.
4 REPLIES
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Which model (SAS or SCSI) suit my need for a Application Server

Hi there:

I have not had the oppurtunity to do any testing, but I would think that... performance wise, there would not be a mjor different between SCSI drives and Serial Attached SCSI drives. The formfacter difference allows you to get 8 SAS drives into the server vs 6 with regular SCSI. Having an additional 2 drives might be a performance boost in itself (more drives = better performance (usually) ).

As for HPM, there is no difference in the server. HPM simiply means that the model is configured with a larger amount of ram then the very base model as well as it includes the redundnt fan kit and pedundant power supply.

You can see the different models here...

" http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_na/12028_na.html#Models "

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Matt Burgess
Frequent Advisor

There are benchmark results here. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for (DL380 specific) but it'll give you the right info.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/benchmarks/index.html

I haven't read every benchmark, but from what I did look at, the SAS based ProLiants of all models performed better than the Parrallel SCSI models.

Also, if performance is your #1 concern, I would consider DL385 instead of DL380 as the AMD chips are faster (see benchmark results for that too).
Alpaje
Occasional Contributor

Greetings,

Hi guys, thanks for your advice. I will go through the spec of DL385 and if pricing is ok. May consider to go for it since AMD has a better performance than Intel Xeon processor (as reported on the TPC-C result).

raadek
Honored Contributor

For Oracle I would strongly recommend SCSI over SAS hard drives.

The reason for that is that there are SCSI 15K drives available at the moment, while current SAS drives spin only at 10K.

In IOPS environment (i.e. random writes / reads) you will benefit a lot from faster RPM.

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]