ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who makes HP's SATA drives?

Who makes HP's SATA drives?

As a service provider, we have hundreds of disks in service and have our fair share of crashes/failures. Experience has shown we've gotten the best/longest service from Seagate disks. Maxtor used to give us pretty good service, but in the past few years their quality went into the toilet.

HP drives only come with a pathetic 1 Year warranty. Even Maxtor, the dog of the industry, gives 3 years. All the Seagate drives we buy have 5 Year warranties.

Who does HP buy their drives from? Are they re-labeled Maxtors? Western Digitals?

After years of buying Intel SR chassis *exclusively* we are transitioning to HP ProLiant because of the iLO-2 Advanced pack remote management features (which Intel cannot match) but their hard drive pricing (especially on the 250GB and up capacities) is too high and their 1 Year disk warranty is pathetic.
3 REPLIES
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: Who makes HP's SATA drives?

ispcolohost
Occasional Advisor

It appears to be random. I recently needed some DL320's in a rush so my reseller got some ordered from a distributor while I already had an order in with HP. All the servers ultimately showed up but one batch had Seagate, the other had Maxtor.

David
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Jeffrey,
can you please let us if you need further information.

Please read:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

before closing the thread.