Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wide Ultra 320 SCSi hard drive on RAID 5

markum fuadi
Frequent Advisor

Wide Ultra 320 SCSi hard drive on RAID 5

Dear All,

on my customer site, i had this scenario..
on an old ML 530 G1 proliant.. there's 5 x 18,2 gb (15k) Wide Ultra320 scsi hdd.. with 2 (two) array..

array A (windows system) : 2 x 18.2 gb hdd RAID 1
array B (data) : 3 x 18.2 gb hdd RAID 5

and now,
id 3 hdd on Array B (RAID 5) has failed..

and my customer can't access any data on this RAID volume..

my questio is ;

1. is it normal, when one hard drive has failed on my RAID 5 volume.. i can't access it???

2. 18.2 gb Wide Ultra SCSI (15k) hdd are discontinued.. is it possible to replace it with 36 or 72 gb hard drive with same speed (15k)???

3. when i replaced the failed hdd with the new one.. is it gonna be automatic rebuild or what???

4. if rebuilded, does all the data are going back to normal and accessable again???

5. aproximately, how long does it's gonna take times for rebuilding process???

need help guys..

best regards,
markum@asa.co.id
www.markumfuadi.co.cc
4 REPLIES
John A. Myrna
Trusted Contributor

Re: Wide Ultra 320 SCSi hard drive on RAID 5

1. No it is not normal, the system should still be operating without any problem with the loss of one disk. You likly have a more serious issue here.

2. You can put in new higher density disks as long as they are the same speed. They will only utilize 18.2GB though so they match the other drives.

3. The rebuild should be automatic. You can enter the raid configuration at the post to watch the progress and see if there are any other errors.

4. Data shouldn't have gone offline, but if it is a true raid 5 then yes everything should go back to normal.

5. Depends on the amount of data you have on the system. Usually a few hours.
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

1. It is not normal. You should be able to access data ideally but sometimes such a scenario happens.

2. You can replace it with a similar 15K 36 or 72 GB hdd but only 18 GB will be used out of it.

3. If it is a smart array controller it will automatically rebuild. But since in this case you are unable to access data, there are chances it may not rebuild. If so you have to start over again.

4. Yes if rebuilded successfully, all data becomes accessible and normal.

5. The rebuild time is 10-15 minutes for 1 GB of data.
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.
markum fuadi
Frequent Advisor

Dear John & Sangram,

1. it means.. i'm having such a serious issue on my RAID 5 volume here.. right?? but just like what Sangram said.. but some such scenario are happens..

my question is.. in my case/scenario.. the worst is .. does i'll gonna lost all the data on the RAID 5 volume??

dear Sangram,
at question number 3.

u mention it bout.. "..there are chances it may not rebuild. If so you have to start over again.."

what does it means with "start over again"??
do i have to re-format my RAID5 volume and create a new one.. and potentially loose all the data??

or is it there's some wizard/command to manually re-build any broken RAID 5 volume???
in this case.. my RAID 5 volume..

need help guys,

tks a lot..

www.markumfuadi.co.cc
John A. Myrna
Trusted Contributor

Markum,

Most likly your raid array is hosed and is unrecoverable. You can try the new disk, but odds are low of a good recovery (although I have seen it work before). The rebuild will only work if there is access to all the data, so if the array is not working with the remaining disks, then data is probably missing and you may be out of luck. Do you have a backup available?