1748213 Members
2989 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Willit Work

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Willit Work

I purchased a used 3000 and I'm looking for the easiest way to make it my primary Webserver replacing the 3000 that currently has this responsibility.
I assume that I can remove the hard drives, Raid controller, NIC card and place all these components into the replacement machine. Then, put it back on the network, turn it on, and immediately be back in operation.

Can you see a flaw in this approach and if so is there a more reliable way to accomplish this operation. It is essential that the server maintian its original name (Webnet). This all assumes the used machine is working properly. If not, then I'll put the components back in the original machine and put it back on the network.

Current Server-Win2K Function-WebServer, Proxyserver, SQLserver, Exchangeserver Name-Webnet One-PII 333 (66MHz bus) 221 Raid Controller 5-hotpluggable 9.1 Raid 5 (one online spare) Netelligent 10/100 TX PCI No Internal Hard Drive CD-Rom Compaq CDU 701-Q

When this operation is complete I want to have..

Replacement Server (USED) Win2K Proliant 3000 Purchased used with one yr of warranty 2 - PIII-450 (100MHz bus) (this is a major concern) Function-WebServer, Proxyserver, SQLserver, Exchangeserver Name-Webnet 221 Raid Controller 5-hotpluggable 9.1 Raid 5 (one online spare) Netelligent 10/100 TX PCI No Internal Hard Drive CD-Rom Compaq CDU 701-Q

Thanks for your help. Johnny
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Willit Work

I'd only recommend you move forward with at least two known good full backups. If you relocate the drives to the same slot you should be okay, but that 221 array controller you're using only has 6MB of read cache. If you're doing a lot of writes to the storage you may want to consider SMART-3200 (56MB read/write cache) to use in the new server.