1752295 Members
4620 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win 2000 Server on DL320 G5

jorisd

Win 2000 Server on DL320 G5

Hello,

I would like to install a windows 2000 server OS on a HP Proliant DL320 G5.
At the start of the installation I get a Blue Screen.

I can't find any drivers for windows 2000 for this server. Is there any way to get windows server 2000 installed on this machine?

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Joris
6 REPLIES 6
dms_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Joris,

Install the OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled (No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.

Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder. HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003:

Click here to go to HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3201178&swItem=MTX-9553913a25fe499aa09e22cfe2&prodNameId=3288095&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

Go to Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

Restart the Server go to BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

Press F8 and go to Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.

If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".

Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Regards
jonnyboy

This does not work. The drive that the OS was installed on is not available to configure the RAID1 due to the partition.

Is there a max partition size for the OS install on the single drive to leave room for the RAID ??

I'm stuck trying to set up a RAID1 on the DL320 G5 as well. I can't belive that HP has not included support into the SmartStart. Very dissapointed. I promissed a customer a RAID1 and now I am sitting here scrathing my head.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The integrated SATA controller supports RAID 1, you just have to do it the right way. Integrate the driver on the CD using nlite or purchase the optional floppy drive to provide it at the begining of the insallation.
Floppy Drive Assembly Option Kit
372702-B21
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

I forgot: Windows 2000 is not officially supported on DL320 G5, you should try with Windows 2003.
jorisd

No Succes,

I've disabled the SATA raid controller. Now I always get the message inaccessible boot device.

Is it possible to install windows 2000 server on this hardware?

thanks,

>Regards,

joris
Dorian

Once you disable RAID it should let you see the drive (take the second one out so it doesn't see it as a second drive). I had to play with different settings but I got it to see the drive and start installing. But now I get copy errors when trying to install W2K server. This is so frustrating when you REALLY need to have W2K installed. Sometimes I feel like "oh, so you have a 1995 car? Sorry, wiper blades made today only fit 2005 and above. You will have to make your own wiper bladed - good luck".